WARNING!

Do you think this product comes with a warning regarding how long you'll be grounded based upon which member of the family or community you hit with it? Looks like fun, doesn't it? I suppose for some persons/objects, you may receive a reward for hitting them. This brings to mind a favorite quote from Ambrose Bierce's The Devil's Dictionary: There are four kinds of homocide: felonious, excusable, justifiable, and praiseworthy, but it makes no great difference to the person slain whether he fell by one kind or another -- the classification is for advantage of the lawyers.

The roof is on!

Well, the roof joists/I-beams are on the tallest part of the new hospital wing, at least. The sheet metal for the sub-floor is going in too. Cement trucks have been coming and going steadily all week. I can't tell where they're putting the cement though. Must be down low and inside somewhere.



Yesterday morning, the photo to the left is what I could see from my office window. It was just the *tiniest* bit foggy out. I like how the top end of the crane just vanishes in the mist. Didn't stop the construction workers at all. They were still moving I-beams up to the top.




Today's Rant and Rave:

Paris Hilton got arrested for driving erratically and then failing a field sobriety test. Today Paris says she wasn't really drunk because she'd only had one margarita on and empty stomach (and no food all day). So, because she was tired and hungry she was "kind of speeding". I'm thinking it doesn't matter how much you've had to drink and how long it's been since you ate, driving impaired, whether due to alcohol or exhaustion, is a problem. So is driving erratically and dangerously because you can't wait to have fast food. I'd even go so far as to say that driving erratically and dangerously is a problem *regardless* of reason. When are people going to realize that driving with a blood alcohol level over the legal limit is a problem, whether that takes one drink or a case of drinks. Stop making excuses. Stop saying it's not "really drunk". You screwed up, girl. Be responsible and own up to it. (Why do I think hell is going to freeze over before that happens?)

I remember a long long time ago when a UI student and his passenger were killed when said student drove his new Honda Civic CRV head-on into a tree. His friends who had been drinking with him at the bar they'd just left prior to the accident said that he hadn't been drinking much and that he didn't seem really drunk, just happy. Being "just happy" led to him driving his brand new car into a tree at >50 mph. But I suppose that wasn't his fault either. They were just hungry or something. At least they only killed themselves.

Who needs pets?
Several folks at work today asked if I had pets. I told them I didn't. I got offers of toy poodle puppies and an adult (I think) cat that is already declawed and spayed/neutered. Given the fauna inhabiting my house and yard, I may just start telling folks I have pets. Two nights ago there was a spider web >2 1/2 feet in diameter outside my kitchen window. The spider was almost 2 inches across (body was almost 1 inch across). There were a pair of black and yellow orb weavers in the front flowerbeds, but they disappeared after the last hard rain.

For those of you who are keeping track, one of the mole hills I squashed down yesterday was fluffed up again today. Still haven't gotten any poison.

Comments

Twitchh said…
A Wrist Rocket with a laser sight. Now there's something you don't see every day. :-)

Construction site was just a *tiny* bit foggy yesterday, ayup.

In the UofI's MRC, we didn't talk about "drunk driving", we talked about "impairment", and how you're always impaired to some degree or another. There's no magical limit under which you're perfectly safe and then suddenly, *ka-pwang*, you're in trouble because you went over that limit. The real issue is whether or not you're impaired enough *right now* that you can't deal with a given situation that may arise. What's safe depends on tons of factors, and the exact same level of impairment that was totally safe yesterday may get you killed tomorrow. Just depends on what happens in a given situation. It's all about personal responsibilty and taking responsibility for your actions.

Good luck with the moles!
Ruby Louise said…
True that there is no magic "safe" limit, but there is a general skill level which is required to operate a motor vehicle safely AND follow the rules of the road. If your level of impairment prevents you from being cognizant of the rules of the road and you are blaming your impairment for your inability to follow said rules of the road, then you ought not to be driving.

I'm a very safe driver and have yet to be in a crash (knock on wood), but that is in part due to having not come across someone else completely screwing up (like being in MY lane and coming at me around a blind curve). That's why there are some minimum standards to establish whether or not someone could/should be driving.
Twitchh said…
(Mitch nods in total agreement)

Yep. Exactly.
C. H. Green said…
My Granny was in the hospital back in June on the 9th floor, and I could look down on the construction from her room. The workers arrived at 6 am and began their jobs. At that time, they were working at ground level. Looks like they've made quite a bit of prgress in six weeks. Was in Jackson last night. Had a flat on the bypass and spent an hour and a half at Sears getting new tires. Then we visited my sister and nephew over on Oil Well Road. I like to read your blog to keep up with the going ons in Jackson. I have lots of relatives that work at the hospital too. I hope you're liking living here. Sounds like you have your hands full with that house.

Popular Posts