The list of things to do just GROWS!

I made an "interesting" discovery last night. I have been using my rolling desk chair in my home office, on the carpet. I had told myself a while ago that I needed to get a protective mat for the carpet for two reason: 1) to protect the carpet from excessive wear, and 2) to make it actually possible to roll the chair easily. I had noticed some discoloration to the carpet a day or two ago. Last night I bent down to have a closer look and discovered the carpet was damp in the discolored area. And smells like pee. I appears that my rolling around with the chair is compressing the carpet pad enough that the (presumably) dog pee from the previous owners' pets is coming to the surface. Well, now I know why there's been a bit of an off smell in that room. I was going to chalk it up to the boxes.

I had already discovered a similar issue in the yarn room, under a couple of heavy rubbermaid bins. That spot is being treated with an enzyme-based smell remover. I don't know how well that's going to work.

This is, however, evidence that the previous owners FAILED to have the carpets cleaned as specified in the sale contract. Of course, they also failed to note in the disclosures that the kitchen sink leaks and that the roof was leaking. They just wrote that they didn't know about any of it. Uh-huh. And the moon is made of cheese.

What do you want to bet that the electric line the previous owner ran out to the pool pump is no where even close to meeting code? We won't talk about the shelving he put in the garage and now the upright support racks aren't spaced properly so the shelving doesn't fit correctly.

I wonder how big a sigh of relief this house breathed when they moved out.

So, I'm off to buy a carpet steam cleaner. I imagine I'll be replacing carpet in the next year or two. Just can't do it right now.

And I've decided to get a package of bratwurst for the official Labor Day cookout I'm having later for myself. So *there*!

Next on the agenda (after cleaning the carpet): Back to the outdoors! while the carpets dry. Then off to a movie "with" Mitch (the movie starts about half an hour later in his city) and I suppose I'll tackle the carboard cubist sculpture a little bit after that.

Comments

Twitchh said…
Good luck with everything -- Hope it's possible to *easily* get things clean enough and dry enough that you don't end up having to replace the carpet!
Ruby Louise said…
I think the replacing of the carpet is a given at this point. It's just a matter of how long it'll take me to save up the money and have the time to get it done. That'll probably be well after the new year.

Popular Posts