Oh, I almost forgot....

I get a year of free credit monitoring courtesy of the US Dept of Education. The weekend I accessed their website to tell them my address had changed was the weekend their database got compromised. There was a 48 hour period where people other than me could have accessed my information, including my SSN and other info. That error was corrected as soon as they found it and the website is fully functional once again. Anybody who changed their information during the "oops" time has had their data rolled back to the pre-"oops" time. This is to get around the possibility that someone could have EDITED my info and started receiving my student loan bills at their address. (If only I could get someone else to actually pay them too....)

The Direct Loan Servicing Center has taken the professional and ethical step of notifying me in writing of the problem they had and are offering me one free year of credit monitoring with all three of the credit reporting services. I'll be signing up for that tomorrow morning. And changing my mailing address with DLSC again.

Comments

Twitchh said…
Sorry to hear your information was potentially compromised, but very happy to hear the company handled it so professionally.

Popular Posts