I'm afraid I've left my brain

in my other cranium.

Yes, it's a day which began and ended with blonde moments.

I awoke this morning to the sound of rain and occasional thunder. No big deal. Conveniently, the parking lot at work is right outside the door (as opposed to 50 yards away at Vet Med). I figured I'd make sure I took a jacket to keep from getting soaked too badly, but life would be good. I get ready for work. I even pack my lunch and eat breakfast. I go out to my car and discover that I left the back windows open about an inch. I go back inside and grab a couple of towels to soak up the water from the seat. I lay them at the ends of the seat and get in the front seat. And observe that I also left the passenger side window in the front seat open. At least I closed the driver's side window or I'd have had wet pants.

At the end of the day, I went to Wal-Mart with the intention of getting some Damp Rid to help dry out the interior of my car and hopefully prevent any mold growth. I remembered to get all the stuff I need to change the oil in the lawn mower and even remembered hair mousse. I thought there was something else to remember, but couldn't think of it for the life of me. Until I got out of the store and 3/4 of a mile down the road. At that point I was too fried mentally to go back. Getting Damp Rid was probably the biggest reason there in the first place.

Driving to work on a Monday:
I have a relatively small car. It is not, however, invisible. At least it's not invisible to the best of my knowledge. Apparently my little car fails to register on the consciousness of some drivers. Twice on the way to work today, other vehicles tried to occupy the same space as my car. Unless the rules of physics have changed since I was in a physics class, two objects cannot occupy the same space. The second encounter I can sort of understand, though it was annoying. A Saturn SUV was turning onto N Highland and had probably been waiting for a while. The entire left lane was open, but the SUV decided to turn S-L-O-W-L-Y into the right lane in front of me. FOrtunately I hit the brakes hard and didn't hit it or spill my coffee. I think I did shout at the SUV though and inquired as to whether or not it knew how to drive. The SUV then proceeded to tailgate the daylights out of the poor vehicle in front of it.

The first "invisible" car incident was a bit more worrying. There was a school bus on a side street, waiting to turn north on Christmasville Rd as I was headed south. Apparently the school bus driver has NO IDEA that the front end of her bus does NOT stay in its own lane when it turns. So 1/3 of the front end of a bus is now in my lane and I'm doing the speed limit of 40 mph. Fortunately there was a turn lane I could swerve into because I'd have either hit the bus or been in a ditch. The corner of the bus was over the grease strip in my lane. That's not kinda overlapping the opposing lane a little bit, in my book. That's being IN the oncoming traffic. I seriously hope that was a one-time lack of judgement on the part of the driver and not a regular occurrence cuz she's going to get into an accident with those kids and get someone hurt or killed.

After today, I can only hope that my car doesn't think I don't like it, between the two brushes with crashes and the accidental interior shower. As long as it keeps running ok, we'll get along fine. Which reminds me, it's been three months since my last oil change.

With any luck tomorrow's commute will be less frightening. And, yes, the windows are rolled up.

Comments

Popular Posts