White Death 2007!!

It's snowing. People are panicking. The stores have sold out of milk and are rapidly running out of bread. It seemed like everybody at Wal-Mart (except me) had an overflowing shopping cart. I merely picked up the usual groceries (bread, soup, orange juice, yogurt, refried beans and peanut butter). I haven't seen lines at the gas station like today since the onset of the current Gulf War.

When I left Wal-Mart it had started snowing. Lightly. The total accumulation is expected to be 1-2 inches over the next two days. The drive in to work tomorrow morning could be "interesting". I'm going to leave before 7:30 just to get ahead of everybody else and give myself an extra bit of time to get there.

This morning on the Drake and Zeke show, a listener, who is a native of the Midwest, sent in an e-mail regarding the upcoming expected winter storm. She provided pointers to inspire terror in the public. First, you have to name the storm to inspire dread. Drake and Zeke decided that White Death 2007 sounded like a good name. Second, have the local TV station film a news spot in front of the empty shelves at the stores to further inspire terror in the masses as well as to spur on frantic purchasing. Finally, continue to drive on the snowy, icy roads exactly as you normally do including the lack of turn signal use. The drivers behind you really don't like knowing that you're about to turn or change lanes. They would prefer to spin out into oncoming traffic while avoiding your vehicle. The listener went on to say that she was going to go into work a few hours later than usual to give the police and tow trucks time to clear all the wrecks off the streets. Personally, I just want to be able to do a donut in the middle of my cove. I would take my car out and do donuts in a parking lot for every first snow, just to remind myself how the car handles when it slides.

Bang Head Here
Note: We cannot use new software in an outbreak investigation if the software doesn't actually run at the present time with the present equipment. Even if you could teach me how to use it, the software has to actually work before I can use my new software skills. And frankly, I don't know that learning new software in the middle of an outbreak is really a good way to run a big outbreak. I will be more than willing to use the new software (once it's running) in a future outbreak, but not now. Please stop asking because the answer isn't going to change and you're keeping us from actually getting the investigation done.

Tonight's Entertainment:
I brought home some data entry work, just in case the Great Blizzard of 2007 deposits eighteen inches of snow on us. But I'm going to knit instead. I think I'll finish my blue sock and then cast on the second sock. If I can find the second ball of yarn, that is.

Comments

Popular Posts