Someone I'd like to work for....

Yvon Chouinard of Patagonia. If the surf is up, the boss (in his 60s) is out of the office. Surfing. Employees are encouraged to do that too. As Mr. Chouinard put it, "You can't schedule surfing for next Tuesday at 2pm. Meetings can be moved." Mr. Chouinard started out making climbing equipment for himself, then his friends, then other people. And the Patagonia Company was born. He still does blacksmith work, making pitons, among other things. When the surf's up, he's out on his board. He's made a point of making corporate decisions in favor of the environment, even if it increased expenses. Patagonia was the first major retailer to switch to using ALL organically grown cotton in its cotton products. They also started using EcoSpun in the fleece. You can buy really snuggly fleece made from recycled soda bottles. Patagonia also started the movement to donate 1% of sales to environmental causes. And on top of all that, their gear is very well made and worth the somewhat higher cost.

This morning, in an interview with him on CBS Sunday Morning, Mr. Chouinard said, "I don't have a big bank account. I have a checking account. I don't buy stocks. I give most of my salary away. I have everything I want. You can't bribe me."

*That* is where I want to get in life. And I'm very nearly there. I'm not yet to the point of giving most of my salary away, but I suspect Mr. Chouinard's salary is significantly larger than mine and that he has fewer outstanding debts.), but I've just about got the rest of it. Yay for me!

Hip Hip Hooray!!
I finally got a newspaper today. I'm not sure what they had to do to sort it out, but a fat Sunday paper was on my driveway this morning. The local paper here is a 50-50 mix of locally produced articles and newswire stuff. The comics include Doonesbury, Baby Blues and Dilbert though so I don't complain too much.

Cataloging the Collection
I have started the yarn stash database. I got three bins of yarn entered into it last night. I have four more bins sitting in the living room waiting to be entered. I have found the four sweater kits from Samuel Charis Knits (now out of business). I only remembered two of them. I have both an angora pullover and an angora cardigan to knit, plus a vest I didn't remember and a jacket.

The "other" data entry
I probably should be doing the data entry for work, but I really don't feel like it. I've been working hard enough at work.

Soup Day!
I've decided to make a pot of vegetable soup today and use up some of the veggies in the fridge. I'll make some cornbread to go with it. It's a bright and sunny day today, but it's still pretty cold. I won't be washing the car yet. I could take it to the car wash. I just hope that won't strip the wax off that I so carefully applied last month.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Interestingly, I used to work for Samuel Charis Knits and designed the kits you're talking about.

Working for them was hellish; not something you'd want to do.

I have my own knitting business now:
http://www.whiteliesdesigns.com

I hope you make up your kits one day!

Yours,

Joan McGowan-Michael

Popular Posts