READ MY LIPS.....

No New TB Cases!!
I managed to actually make some progress on the data entry and we have identified no new cases to investigate. I expect that to change by the end of the week when the last of the skin test and symptom screen results come back. I am fairly certain there is one more case hiding out there.

For now, I'll be happy to keep making progress on the data entry. Because we're using Excel for the data management, it's not really possible to share the data entry duties. The new software we're getting is server based, so in theory more than one person could work on the data at a time. It's a pity that the IT folks couldn't get the server to talk to the app yet. I can't complain too much though as I get to cut and paste most of the answers instead of typing it.

Happy Birthday!
Today was the birthday lunch for Dr. G and me. We have the only two January birthdays. We're both 5 years old, though I'm technically a week earlier. (In real life he's several years older.) Lunch included lasagne, tossed salad, coleslaw (made with cauliflower rather than cabbage and it was YUMMY!) and bread sticks. There were two kinds of cake (angel food, which is my favorite, and cinnamon swirl cake, which is Dr. G's favorite). I had an extra piece of cake for an afternoon snack.

RIP Barbaro
Barbaro, the 2006 Kentucky Derby winner, was euthanized today. He had developed an abscess in his right hind foot (the same leg that he broke in the Preakness Stakes). Over the weekend, the surgeons at the New Bolton Center put pins in his leg to shift the weight onto the newly healed cannon bone. This was a procedure not without risks, one of which would be causing laminitis in the front hooves. This morning, it became apparent to the veterinarians that Barbaro was no longer comfortable. Barbaro's owners decided it was time to let him go.


Bird Brains....
The local birds are not the brightest. In the past three weeks three separate species have had an individual fly into the back window. I'll be adding a sticker to the window so they can figure out it's a window, not a hole.

So far I have identified the following species hanging out on the deck and enjoying the birdfeeder: house finches, purple finches, gold finches, blue jays, cardinals, tufted titmouses (titmice?), juncoes, cowbirds, and sparrows. I have seen wrens and bluejays in the neighborhood and have heard woodpeckers and owls. I'd like the owl(s) to eat the moles, but have not yet managed to make that introduction. I really need to put up the second feeder. The feeding population has gotten large enough that there have been some squabbles among the crowd.

Comments

Popular Posts