Hemlines

There is something I just don't understand. Are women today unable to hem a pair of pants? The trend these days is to wear long jeans with heeled boots. Nearly every woman who does this is wearing jeans which are long enough to get stuck under her heel (thus wearing a hole in these undoubtably expensive pants) and to suck up whatever water and dirt are on the sidewalk on a rainy day. It takes ten minutes to pin and sew a hem at the appropriate height on a pair of jeans. If you are not particularly sewing-minded, hemming pants is an alteration that costs $5-15. The end result is a much nicer line to the pants and a neater overall appearance. I don't know about you, but if I was wearing a $150 pair of jeans I'd want them to be the right length and not be grinding the end of them into the ground. Of course, I only ever wear $40 Levi's and never with heels, but we all know that I'm not particularly fashionable.

Cropped pants. This is another fashion item I don't quite get. Capri pants I can understand in the summer, at least. But not dress pants that come somewhere between ankle length and knee length. The first time I saw them my first impression was that the wearer of these pants had accidentally put them in the dryer. Now it really reminds me of the pants worn by the crew of the original Star Trek series, esp since most women wear them with boots, just like in Star Trek. I am also reminded of the "high water" pants that were ridiculed when I was in grade school. You know, the pants that were way too short because you (or someone else) had a growth spurt and your family couldn't afford to replace all your jeans right away.

I have often wondered if designers who determine what will be fashionable just make up ridiculous stuff on purpose to see if the public will fall for it. Certainly nobody actually LOOKS at the clothes to see if they are flattering in appearance, cut or style. It gets published in Vogue and other fashion magazines, therefore it must be purchased and worn. No wonder kids laugh at what their parents wore when they were younger. And I laugh at the silly stuff that gets dreamed up every season. It amazes me that women bankrupt themselves to purchase what they're told to buy, whether they want, like it, need it or not. It's this season's fashion so they *have* to have it. I don't get it. I guess I'm just too much of an independent thinker to wear something just because it was in a magazine.

Food and other things

I've decided to eat my way through the Fat Free Vegan website's recipes. Not all at once, mind you. It's part of that expanding recipe repertoire thing. Tonight I'm going to make mini meatloaves and mashed potatoes/turnips. Other things on the menu this week include millet with greens, miso coleslaw and New England Baked beans. None of these happen to be from the FF Vegan site, of course.

Cricket Update:

Found another cricket #2 yesterday who again ended up dead today. The big cricket is now missing a hind leg. This would, of course, prevent any sort of chirping. I wonder how he lost it. Probably some sort of dangerous reconnaissance mission to the top of the drapes.

Comments

Stefaneener said…
I remember the first time I saw formal gauchos again -- I remember them from the 80s. Tweed. With boots. I could NOT believe it.

You might enjoy the "Go Fug Yourself" gals, since you seem to share their horror of the too-long pant.

Popular Posts