Weather Woes

Well, I'm not particularly woeful. Unlike the people on the radio, I personally don't call a high temp of 40 degrees anything even close to being "arctic". The weather we're experiencing isn't really winter to me, you see. The daily high temperature exceeds freezing. Heck, it exceeds 45 degrees most days. *And* the sun comes out.

Winter to me is a high temperature in the 20s or just barely exceeding freezing. Cold enough that your nostrils stick when you inhale deeply. Cold enough that wet hair freezes, then rattles when you shake your head. Cold enough that snow squeaks. Snow which may accumulate to 4-6 inches and stay for a week or so before a warmer day melts it away. Gray, dirty snow to match the gray skies and drab, dull landscape. That was the part I didn't like. The dirty, drab, dull gray landscape that seemed devoid of all color. By February it seemed to drain the life out of a person. And it didn't actually snow all that often, just threatened to do so thus the gray clouds. Perhaps if I'd lived some place cold with mountains or better winter weather (e.g. more sunny days), winter wouldn't have seemed to drag on quite so long.

Then again with "winter" temps here in the 40s, I'm going to be mighty impatient about the arrival of spring since according to my internal thermometer, this is April weather. We're not even to the SuperBowl yet. Though at least the sun is still up at 5pm now.

In the meantime, I'm still waiting for winter to arrive here. I don't think I'll be using the snowboard or the cross-country skis any time soon....

Cricket Census
Back to one cricket again. Cricket #2 and Cricket #3 didn't make it through the night. Which is causing me to wonder if perhaps Cricket #1 emits/secretes some sort of anti-cricket substance that just knocks off all his "competitors".

Comments

Popular Posts