Avalanche!

US Hwy 40 is now closed through Berthoud Pass, Colorado. Due to a bit of a snow roadblock. Estimates are the main avalanche area is 15 feet deep in snow and about 100 feet across. It's not clear if any vehicles were swept off the road or, if they were swept over the edge, how many were involved. That would be an interesting insurance claim to file. Cause of accident: avalanche. I'd bet the insurance adjusters don't see that come across their desk very often.

Idiot news person quote of the day:
"I guess they said it came from the top somewhere." when she commented on the avalanche path. Apparently in newsgirl school they didn't discuss the law of gravity or its application in avalanche conditions. Hint: avalanches do NOT flow UP HILL.

Interesting Road Viewing Today:
There is a semi turned on its side on the bypass today. I'm not quite sure how they managed to do that. It's on a straight stretch of road. They were off-loading the stuff on the truck when I drove by. It looked like cases of Coke, but I didn't exactly slow down to look. I'd say the truck either swerved hard to avoid hitting some silly driver or there was an issue with wind, though I don't recall it being windy last night and I doubt they'd have left the truck lay there since Thursday night, blocking two lanes of traffic.

Comments

Popular Posts