Hmmmmm.....

I had several great ideas for today's post while driving home from work. I do not write them down. I get home. I mow the lawn. I get back inside to blog. Do you think I can remember any of the things I was thinking about? Nope. Sigh.

On being an independent female
I'm an independent woman. I do not expect, nor require others to do things for me. I like not having to rely on others to live my life how I want to live it. That doesn't mean that I don't ask for assistance or hire assistance when I need it. I simply do not assume that I cannot do something, even if I've never done it before. I absolutely do not assume I cannot do something simply because I'm female. I also don't assume that someone else will do things for me just because I'm female. I may be female, but that doesn't make me a frail, fragile flower.

With that said, you can lead your life however you like (you don't have to be independent just because I am). Just don't look down on me for being independent. In addition, if you constantly tell me that you wish you could do the things that I can do and insist on putting yourself down as being stupid or something else negative, I have just one thing to say to you: if you don't like how you do things now, you *can* change them if you decide to do that. Use me as a role model if you like, but please stop bemoaning that you couldn't possibly do something like that. Because you *can*, if you would just do it.

The downside to being dependent
You must rely on others to take care of you. To "rely on the kindness of strangers", as it were. This is fine if you are only ever surrounded by people who will actually do that. Thinking about this a bit more, this very mentality may actually explain why nobody in this neck of the woods seems to ever live more than 5 miles from where they grew up (and if they did move more than 20 miles from their parent's house, it was only for educational purposes and they moved back as soon as they finished school). If you really do want to live in the same place all your live, GO FOR IT. If, however, you really want(ed) to live somewhere else, you should do that. Believe it or not, your relatives will not dry up and die if you move somewhere else. Perhaps it's a bizarre notion, but wouldn't your family want you to become the best person you can be and to be happy, even if that meant moving somewhere else? Would your family really actually want you to be miserable just so you could be nearby? Wouldn't that breed resentment instead of a positive relationship?

One of the things I do in my spare time is teach women's and kids' self-defense courses. I believe that women and kids shouldn't have to depend upon other people to take care of themselves. If you wish to depend upon your husband, boyfriend, brother, father, the police, etc to rescue you if something bad happens, you may do that. However, may I ask how often you are in a situation where these individuals aren't with you? Do you never go to the grocery store alone? Are you never at home alone? How about in the car? Certainly you could call the police or your spouse/father/brother, etc. but how long will it take for them to come to your aid? How long will it take the police or sheriff to arrive after you call 911? A lot can happen in just 1-3 minutes. Wouldn't you like to be able to defend yourself in that situation?

The answer in my current location seems to be "no". Either the women here think that criminal activity will never happen to them or that someone will save them. I have no idea just what sort of women they think become victims, but if I were to guess I'd say it's probably the minority, low-income group. Unfortunately the statistics just don't back that up.

A song I'll have to buy off iTunes....
Ticks by Brad Paisley

Every time you take a sip
In this smoky atmosphere
You press that bottle to your lips
And I wish I was your beer
In the small there of your back
Your jeans are playing peekaboo
I'd like to see the other half of your butterfly tattoo.

Hey that gives me an idea
Let's get out of this bar
Drive out into the country
And find a place to park.

'Cause I'd like to see you out in the moonlight
I'd like to kiss you way back in the sticks
I'd like to walk you through a field of wildflowers
And I'd like to check you for ticks.

I know the perfect little path
Out in these woods I used to hunt
Don't worry babe I've got your back
And I've also got your front
Now, I'd hate to waste a night like this
I'll keep you safe you wait and see
The only thing allowed to crawl all over you when we get there is me.

You know every guy in here tonight
Would like to take you home
But I've got way more class than them
Babe that ain't what I want.

'Cause I'd like to see you out in the moonlight
I'd like to kiss you way back in the sticks
I'd like to walk you through a field of wildflowers
And I'd like to check you for ticks.

You never know where one might be
There's lots of places that are hard to reach
I gotcha.

I'd like to see you out in the moonlight
I'd like to kiss you baby way back in the sticks
I'd like to walk you through a field of wildflowers
And I'd like to check you for ticks.

I'd sure like to check you for ticks...

Comments

Popular Posts