Making it official!

I did it. I called my soon to be boss and left voicemail telling her I'd take the job. W00t! I then turned right around and called the HR lady and told her. I've got the appointment paperwork all finished and will mail it off today. I was going to overnight it, but the silly thing wouldn't get there until Monday at this point, so I might as well just use snail mail. My new boss called me right back and said that the whole deal will become official when the head office approves the appointment. She indicated that was pretty much a done deal, but just in case, to not go ahead and quit my current job just yet. :o)

The HR lady mentioned last week at my interview that she and her husband had recently been looking to buy a house and told me she'd put me in touch with her realtor. I took her up on that offer today and she kindly gave me his name and number. He has found a furnished house I can rent for $1800/month until I find a house to buy. I realize I'm getting a raise with the new job, but that's still a ways out of my price range. He did mention an apt complex that has short-term leases and furnished apts, so I looked them up. Looks like about $580 a month, plus utils. That's a whole lot more reasonable.

Next on the agenda:
Getting my present living arrangement organized and starting the packing/storage. I have decided that the time to clear out the detritus is now, rather than after I move. I would rather leave things here than take cruft with me to my new home. I will, conveniently, have a good bit of time to accomplish that between the time I leave my current job and start my new job. Nonetheless, I am going to get started this week with clearing out the evil, blackhole corner of my dining room.

I had already planned to do some packing on my own prior to the mover's arrival, so as to 1) perhaps save some money and 2) get things more organized for myself. I realize that my packing things means that the moving company isn't liable if whatever i pack breaks. I'm cool with that. I was mostly going to pack up the non-breakable stuff, like books and clothes and stuff like that. The fragile things, like the carnival glass I got from my grandmother, will be packed by the pros.

Things to get rid of: books and tapes and CDs I am no longer interested in having. I think a trip to the used book store is in order. I've had several books listed on Amazon.com, but I think I've sold about all I'm going to get sold there. I may also cut out a bunch of kitchen stuff. Or at least better organize the storage of the kitchen stuff I'm not using. I know that some food will end up at the food bank.

On the housing front:
Need to make my list of things I *must* have in a house and then the list of things I'd like but would compromise upon. Perhaps tomorrow at work I can think about that.

I am definitely excited about having my own house. I look forward to starting over with a fresh place to live. Re-organizing things. Perhaps having a bit more space. Struggling to avoid buying new stuff to fill any extra space that does arise.... I have decided that I will NOT be buying any throw rugs for the new house. I have a loom and I know how to use it. I can just as easily weave myself things like that. Yes, it will take longer and I may never get the rugs, but then again, I probably don't really need them anyway.

Dinner tonight:
Grilled cheese samiches and tomato soup. It's not particularly cold out, which would seem to make it an unseasonable menu for the day, but it's what my tummy wants, so *there*. Besides, I have a headache today and so should be entitled to having whatever i want without having to argue about it. :o)

What I really want to eat is another turkey club sandwich from Jason's Deli. *Dang!* that was good.

Entertainment for the evening:
I need to head over to the library. I work this weekend, so won't be able to get there while they're open until Monday, except that they're closed on Monday too for Memorial Day. So today's the last day to get videos and DVDs for the whole weekend. I've already got one DVD and one video checked out (Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire and Tomb Raider 2). Haven't decided what else to get for the weekend. Maybe Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House. Or The Polar Express.

Comments

Popular Posts