Ahhhh....the end of the weekend

And it wasn't a half-bad weekend at that. The productivity continued on into today to some extent. This morning was a bit mopey. I got my car squared away, got my resume revised and got the ORISE application sent off.

Entertainment:
I'm hanging out on the sofa, blogging and watching Spartacus. Kirk Douglas just bit a Roman guard on the ankle. Now *that* is a creative way to express one's displeasure. I don't think it would work well in this day and age. The gesture was greatly aided by attire of the era. It would be much harder to bite someone's ankle if they wore pants, socks and shoes rather than sandals and a toga.

I had forgotten that the film Gladiator was mostly just a modified version of Spartacus. I think I like Kirk Douglas and Lawrence Olivier better. Tony Curtis is pretty good too, though in a toga, I'm reminded of his outfits in Some Like It Hot. :o)

I also have Yojimbo, Into the West, Enchanted April and Seven Year in Tibet. Plenty to keep me entertained for several evenings.

Dinner:

Had homemade macaroni and cheese for dinner. Next time I'll use medium or mild cheddar instead of sharp. It tasted pretty good, but it would be better with a milder cheese. I'm going to have cake again for dessert. I've got about a quart of sliced strawberries left. Then I'll have to start in on the rhubarb.

Ice Age 2:
Went to the movies today for the first time in well over a month. The theater has figured out that not many people will pay a $6.50 matinee price and offer a $4.50 ticket between 4 and 5:30pm. The movie was pretty good. A pair of 7 or 8 year old boys sat a few rows up ahead. They cheered whenever the squirrel got his acorn, however briefly. They also giggled themselves silly when Crash the Opossum went crashing into the tree after Manny shot him out of a tree. It was cute. Overall, I thought the movie was pretty good. The modeling of the flood was pretty good, as was the animation of the fur on the critters. The jokes were good. The plot was pretty good. I was reminded of the documentary I watched on PBS last week about glacial ice dams bursting. Technically I suppose there should have been mud after the flood receded, but that's ok. If i'm going to be that picky, I'd also have to point out that animals don't actually talk and sloths aren't likely to have discovered fire. BTW, the Sid the Fire King bit was pretty funny. Waka waka waka!

Update on my car:
So, I re-washed my car today. And since CarTalk was on WILL, I also waxed it while listening to other people's vehicular woes. It is now carefully parked in the garage so it won't get wet or pooped on. Of course, after the movie, I drove down a gravel road to look at the new foals at the horse farm. The car itself doesn't look too bad, but the rear window is all kinds of dusty. Perhaps tomorrow I'll wipe it down and remove the last of the swirl marks from the wax. I noticed a few marks on it when it was parked in the sun.


My other car:
On the way to Pages for All Ages today, I saw my "other" car. Of course, I didn't have my camera with me and by the time I got it and returned for a photo, the car was gone. Aside from being right-hand drive, this one is pretty much identical to the one I saw. I wish I knew where I'd left the keys.... :o) Driving a car that sweet sure would make up for the crummy mileage it's got to get and probably for the speeding tickets too.

Swearing:

"Great merciful, bloodstained Gods...." Now, *that's* swearing. Sounded pretty good coming out of Lawrence Olivier's mouth. I'm not sure it would work coming out of my mouth when having to put up with idiot drivers in traffic. I may have to give it a try and see what sorts of looks I get from other people.

Watching Mr. Olivier reminds me that I should watch Wuthering Heights and Hamlet again. His brooding as Heathcliff reminds me a bit of Viggo Mortensen's brooding as the troubled Aragorn in Lord of the Rings. Wonder how *he'd* do as Heathcliff. Hmmmmm.

Barbaro update:

Turns out he's got three fractures, not just two. The vet who did the surgery said he'd never seen a break this bad before, primarily because horses with breaks this bad are put down on the track and not attempted to be fixed. He's going to try to fuse the joint. With any luck, Barbaro will come out of the anesthesia relatively sanely. It'd be nice if he survived the surgery *and* the recovery.

It was hard watching him fight getting pulled up. You could see him running on three legs and trying to keep going. Later, when he was standing on the track and they were waiting for the horse ambulance, he was standing on three legs and kicking t
he injured leg. You could see his hoof flopping in an unnatural way. Fortunately it wasn't an open fracture. That would have been certain infection and death. Keeping my fingers crossed....

Excitement for the coming week:
Nothing that I can think of in particular. I need to get my EMS Management course put together for Fire College the first week of June. Need to trade so I can get the 1st of June off so I can teach.


Haven't knit anything in a while. I haven't even taken my sock to work in the past week. I've just not really felt like it and I've been doing more reading at work. I really want to work on my alpaca lace scarf, but it's too tricky to manage at work. Much better to take something simple and less fragile, like a sock.

Well, that's it for the day. I suppose I need to come up with an agenda for the week. Perhaps compile a list of jobs for which to apply, since I overhauled my resume today. Just need to revise the basic cover letter so I don't have to start from scr
atch each time. W00t!

And now, just to remind you how much you hate me, here's a photo to end today's entry:

Comments

Popular Posts