I'm baaaack!

Bet you didn't even know I'd been gone. :o) Don't you just love having wi-fi available in hotels when you travel? I blogged from seven hundred miles away last night. Now I'll have to find additional exotic locations from which to blog.

Trip went well. My car now has over 15,500 miles on it. Somewhere on the trip out, it turned over 15K. I missed it. I didn't notice until we were at 15,030 and I was fueling up. I gave Zippy a pat on the dash and that was that. w00t!

Loving the iPod...
When I was first given my iPod, I wasn't sure I'd use it. Afterall, I have several personal radio things in various sizes which I don't ever use. But I'm finding myself using the iPod when going for walks or mowing the lawn. Perhaps it's because it's smaller and I can listen to all my fav music and download radio shows. The personal stereo was always somewhat limited.

The iPod transmitter I bought for the trip worked like a charm. It's great to be able to listen to ALL my CDs without having to bring any of them with me. I've now listened to almost a dozen Naked Scientist podcasts. Fairly entertaining show, depending upon the topic and the questions that callers ask. They did some pretty cool live DNA extraction and DNA fingerprinting experiments that school kids participated in. You could tell the kids were actually learning the theory behind the procedures and they were all very excited to get their results back. BioRad, a biotech firm, sponsored the experiment and provided the equipment to the schools.

And I'd go do that...why?
Got e-mail from the U of I telling me that I can go to their new spiffy football website and watch the TV commercials and listen to the radio commercials about the upcoming football season. This spawns the inevitable question..... WHY?!?!? Why on earth would I want to intentionally go watch commercials for *anything*, nevermind watching the commercials for a football season which is likely to be a complete disaster, much as the past several seasons have also been. Of course, the ads are likely telling me all about the "Illini fan environment" at the game. Already radio spots are pushing the tailgating experience and making no mention at all of anybody coming to see the game itself or of watching exciting Big 10 football. I wonder if that's a sign of the faith that the dept of intercollegiate athletics has in the ability of the football team to bring fans to the stadium or if they're just being realistic about what people are actually going to the game to see/do.

Another example of "What were you thinking?!?"
Taco Bell has a new advertising campaign out, apparently. I noticed it when I stopped for lunch. The website is fourthmeal.com. It's all about the meal between dinner and breakfast. I haven't gone to the site yet, but I am wondering just what the American public needs with an additional meal each day when Americans are already the fattest people on the planet. Perhaps it's a conspiracy by the diet industry and medical community to bolster their revenues. Yeah, that's it.

Oopsie!
Heard a rather amusing story on NPR tonight. It rather made me feel better about the public boo-boos I've made in my life. It would seem that the BBC managed to interview the wrong person on live TV the other day. They had a guy named Guy on, but it wasn't the right Guy. The right Guy was waiting in a different reception area and the person sent to get him went to the wrong place and found someone else named Guy who was, in fact, waiting to have a job interview. Apparently Job-Seeking Guy got rather nervous and appeared surprised when he was introduced as having a different last name and was interviewed about the recent Apple Computer/iTunes court ruling. His responses were essentially some re-wording of the question, but weren't obviously being made up on the fly. I thought he did quite well, considering. Meanwhile, Expert Guy was quite surprised to see someone who wasn't himself being introduced and interviewed. Apparently he's posted about the experience on his blog. The interview with the wrong Guy can be viewed at the NPR website. Hey, if the BBC can goof something up like that, it seems perfectly reasonable for little old me to stick my foot in it occasionally. :o)

Tonight's spectacular plan....
May involve making blueberry pancakes for dinner. Or blueberry muffins for tomorrow's breakfast. I have some computer work to do, which I believe i will do from the sofa while watching one of the following videos: The Wrong Man, Nasty Girl or Dr. Bethune. I think they were fairly random picks from the library.

And then I need to plan to overthrow the world. I've been slacking. I didn't do a darn thing all day to further my domination of the planet. Well, except contribute to the financial wellbeing of oil companies by driving most of the day. I *did* get 36+ mpg for most of the trip though, which I was pleased to see. Gotta love a tail wind....

Still need to find a project too....

Comments

Twitchh said…
Woowoo!! Congrats on the successful trip and on the blueberry pancakes! Blueberries *rock*! (Of course, that's a different kind of Blueberry, but hey..... :o) )

Popular Posts