Ducking Responsibility

It started out as a good day yesterday. My partner, T, and I had an orientee to train. Things went pretty well for the most part. New guy is learning how to navigate for someone else. He tried several times to just give me the map book while I was driving, but that doesn't work particularly well as I can't read a map and watch what the heck I'm doing all at the same time. We ended up with a late call. That wouldn't have been so bad but the hospital can no longer give us patient information until the patient is seen by a physician. There's going to be a huge conflict here as some patients in the ER aren't seen for hours and we don't have the option of being out of service for hours waiting for paperwork. Nor do we have the option, legally, of doing paperwork the next day or several days later once the paperwork is filed by the hospital.

So, we get back to our assigned post after the end of the shift and find the replacement crew. One of the incoming crew is B, who called in sick earlier in the day, but apparently was well enough to come to work with R. Oddly enough he appears to have also been well enough to go tanning. T asks B to help the new guy with his reports on the computer because T has to leave (leaving two of his own reports unfinished) to go have dinner with his girlfriend and her pals from work. B apparently said sure, then looked at new guy's report for 5 minutes before leaving with R to go have dinner and did not return. New guy was back downstairs asking me for help before T ever got his clothes changed to go home. New guy hadn't even started second report. Apparently B doesn't give a rat's ass about doing his job, regardless of whether he says he'll do it. This is particularly frustrating given that he'll blast people for not doing things to his standard if it inconveniences him. It would also appear that T isn't particularly concerned about doing his job either if it gets in the way of his social life. So much for being a "PROFESSIONAL" company and doing the job the right way. New guy has, instead, learned that the proper way of doing things is to just bail if you have other things to do. Mind you, he gave up having dinner with his family to try to finish his paperwork.

And I'm completely DONE with having other people's jobs dumped on me. I am not an FTO. I never took the class, never wanted to do it, etc. But I keep getting stuck with training people and doing the job of the FTO so the FTO can go home early. What makes this worse is that I don't even get asked to do it. I get told "Hey, you'll stay and help Brian/Eric/Joan with this, cuz I've got this thing I have to do....". People have learned that I can't help but do the job the right way and do the job well. I am now officially a crutch. Well, this crutch is tired of being taken advantage of and it stops tomorrow with a little chat with the field coordinator for our shift.

I am increasingly looking forward to getting the hell out of this company. Everybody talks the talk about doing the job right until push comes to shove and then it all goes out the window. I cannot tolerate BS like that. You either do what you say or you don't. The standards aren't meant to be applied only when it is convenient for you. Do the job right or find a new job. How hard is that to do? That used to be the norm. Now it is truly the exception and that really makes me sad.

Comments

Popular Posts