Last Minute Doings

I don't know what it is about an impending trip that makes me go crazy with getting miscellaneous tasks around the house done. Perhaps it's avoiding packing. I really don't know. I decided tonight that I needed to vacuum the pool (which I halted really quickly since the water level wasn't really high enough to do the job), to clean off the desk in the living room and to blog. Of course, I haven't really got a good idea of what I'm packing yet, other than underwear and clothes for 4 days. Perhaps I figure my back brain will figure out the details while I do other things. On the other hand, what's likely to happen is that I'll still be packing at 11pm instead of climbing into bed. Sigh....going to have to go swallow that frog and then I'll have the rest of the evening to goof off.

A Delightful Lunch
A former co-worker stopped by today to join us for lunch. We went to a local antique shop which does lunches in it's cafe. The Strawberry Salad was highly recommended. This is a mixed green salad with sunflower seeds, raisins, dried cranberries, slivered almonds, and feta cheese, served with a raspberry vinaigrette. I ordered a piece of spinach mushroom quiche and a Strawberry Salad. Oh my!!! It was amazingly yummy.

When browsing through the store on the way to check out, I found a couple of possible candidates for the role of microwave table in my kitchen. It's definitely a shop I could look around in a lot more. I don't think we saw even 1/4 of the merchandise during our brief perusal.

Observations on Iron Chef
The chefs must know what the secret ingredient is before it's unveiled to the audience. There's just no way they could do what they do in an hour with virtually no communication between the head chef and the sous chefs.

Having just watched another episode of Iron Chef, I've got to say that I'm really not at all interested in eating animal flesh anymore. I'm ok with dairy and eggs, but just watching shrimp get cleaned or squabs get de-headed or even beef chopped up actually puts me off eating now. I'm sure if I watched a show where fish were prepared, I'd be put off of it too. On the other hand, I really do like the health benefits of Omega-3 fats found in fatty fish. Of course, I'm skeptical that good, fresh fish can be obtained in my current location, unless it's farm-raised catfish which has not-so-much Omega-3 fats and is usually deep fried, which probably negates any health benefits that might be present.

Comments

Popular Posts