Guess Where I Am?

Yes, for the third time in a week, I am in Nashville. That two-day training session got approved this morning, so here I am back again. I spent my lunch hour packing and the afternoon driving. Given that the class runs until 4:30pm both days, I'll have two hours of flex time to use on Friday so I'll even get almost a half-day off from work too. W00t!

I'm tempted to not attend the public health meeting next week. I really need to do some work this month and all the travel is making me grumpy. The only real advantage to going to the meeting would be to drop my car off at the VW dealer to get the bilge pump installed leak fixed. I'm leaning really hard toward ditching the meeting and getting the car fixed later. Yeah, I know I'll regret that during the next hard rain, but for now I'm too tired and crabby from driving and traveling. Maybe the next time I get through Champaign-Urbana, I can stop over at Karch's Auto Repair and they can blow out the sunroof drain tubes for me. Heck, if I could find the drain tubes I'd blow them out myself.

Today was a miserable wet, rainy day (as opposed to the more cheerful dry, rainy days). I had sushi and spicy veggie udon for dinner. There's nothing like hot spicy pasta to warm you right up. Now I've got my feet up on the desk and I'm watching cable TV (The 150th episode celebration for Dirty Jobs on The Discovery Channel).

Driving Madness
On the way to work this morning, there was a poor, innocent red Toyota pickup truck floundering in the ditch. Apparently the ditch reached out and snagged it right off the road as it attempted to negotiate the curve. It didn't quite roll over, but the ditch where it went off the road is quite deep and quite steep, so getting out of the truck must have been a feat. I'm not sure how the driver managed to get off the road, unless they took the curve at an excessive rate of speed or simply failed to turn the wheel.

En route to Nashville, I came across another accident. This one appeared to have involved two semis, the ditch in the median and the guardrail on the outside. Looked like there was about 20 feet of guardrail that was torn up. The soft ground (courtesy of two days of rain) safely captured the truck that ended up in the median. (I didn't actually see the truck in the median, just the ruts left by it as it entered and was towed from the ditch.)

I don't know what it is about the drive to or from Nashville, but it seems a whole lot longer than 126 miles. My iPod keeps me sane though, or at least I think it does. I may not be an impartial judge of my own sanity. :o)

Today's Bit of Trivia:
Mike Rowe, the host of Dirty Jobs with Mike Rowe, once sang professionally with the Baltimore Opera. Who'd a thunk it?!

Comments

Stefaneener said…
I despised driving from Knoxville to Nashville, especially when Thing 1 was a baby. Way too scary those 3-trailer rigs.

I'm going to be in Franklin in December. . . want a trip to Angel Hair yarns?
Ruby Louise said…
Sounds like a great idea to me! When will you be in town?

Popular Posts