Yummy!

In a fit of efficiency, I ran my errands early yesterday morning. I actually got to the post office before it opened. I could have sworn that the post office opened at 8:30 on Saturdays, but that's apparently only Monday thru Friday. On Saturdays that particular branch opens at 9am. Conveniently I wanted to cruise through the grocery store that's half a block away and check out the produce section anyway so that worked out fine.

Ordinarily I buy groceries at Wal-Mart because it's convenient and the prices are often better. However, I'm not impressed by the produce section at my local store. I figured I'd reward myself for an early start to the day by finding something yummy at the Kroger produce section. I found several yummy things. For starters I got a bunch of red leaf lettuce and some baby portobello mushrooms. Then I found a tub of organic baby greens. I've been looking for baby greens for salads since I moved here. In C-U, the grocery store closest to home stocked locally baby lettuce mix. Now it seems that I have a very good substitute, even if it's not a local product. I used to complain about the price of the baby lettuces until I thought about what I pay for a salad made from the same baby lettuce at a restaurant. I can get a week's worth of lettuce from the grocery store for the same price as a single restaurant salad. And I've got homemade herb croutons to go on top. I also picked up a loaf of ciabatta bread and some couscous.

Anyway, here's where the "Yummy!" comes in...

I marinated the mushroom caps in balsamic vinegar and a little olive oil with minced onion, garlic, jalapeno and salt/pepper. Grilled them until they were juicy and tender. I toasted the split bread, rubbed the bread with a bit of garlic, added a slice of ripe tomato, a handful of baby greens dressed with the leftover marinade and topped it with a warm mushroom cap. Delicious!! A bit of chevre spread over the bread or some Parmesan would have been good, but I didn't have any available. I ate two samiches last night and have enough mushrooms for four more.


I've reserved the mushroom stems. I thought about making an omelet with them, but I think I'll saute them and put them in a risotto or pasta sauce.

Comments

Popular Posts