Now that I'm a famous movie star...

I'll have to start collecting my entourage. :o)

Today was a long, hot and exhausting day. It would have been better if the day didn't start at 0715 with a call. Or at least if the call had been something besides a bit of overreacting/hypochondria. (The patient complained of a sore throat and claimed that my talking made her short of breath. The patient had had a throat biopsy the previous day, but was convinced something bad was going on because she was experiencing any discomfort and irritation at all.) Tom and I were nearly late to the taping of the commercial due to a different call.

We finally get to the hospital to do the commercial. We had expected a couple of little TV cameras and the hospital PR personnel. Nope. We got an actual film crew, complete with director, assistant director, lighting dudes, sound dude, a couple of camera dudes and some random lackey dudes. Took them about 45 minutes to get everything lit and staged how they wanted it. Then we met our patient, got him hooked up to the cardiac monitor, taped an IV line to his arm and started the taping. I hauled the patient out of the ambulance about 8 times. The only part of me that will really be seen much will be my behind and my ponytail. But that's par for the course. :o)

We had figured this commercial would be for local use. Nope. It's for the whole hospital system. That means it'll be shown in the Chicago suburban area, among other places. They took a bunch of still photos too of both Tom and I working on our patient.

After the shoot, I dropped Tom off at the courthouse so he could continue testifying in a personal injury case. Then I got to drive to Centralia to drop off a patient. My new partner and I were told that it was only an 80-something mile drive. Guess again. Try 148 miles. Only almost TWICE the distance we were told. We got back after 7:30 pm. I washed the million splattered Japanese beetles off the front of the truck, called it a night and went home. I'm exhausted.

But I didn't yell at anybody, even though I didn't have breakfast before work and I didn't have lunch until after 3pm. I didn't even yell at the patient this morning who told us that we couldn't help her anyway and we were just wasting her time if she didn't get to talk to her personal physician immediately. I didn't even ask her why she didn't just call him directly. I still haven't figured out how my asking her what was wrong made it hard for her to breathe. I figured that was more due to the fact that she didn't quit talking the entire 20 minutes we were with her, but what do I know. I'm just an EMT, not Dr. X, her physician.

Garden plan develops:
I think I have figured out the border of my potager. I am going to plant basil and either pink begonias, impatiens or some other sort of pink annual flower as the border for the main sections. I think a nice weeping cherry, cutleaf maple or perhaps a dwarf mountain laurel in the center would be a good focal point. Or I could just put a bit of statuary or a bird bath there. I know where I can get a good looking garden gargoyle. Or a copy of the Venus de Milo.

Elsewhere in my reality:
I had too much caffeine today. I am exhausted, but not sleepy. My mind is starting to race again. I have two days left at work, a billion things to do, and very few definite plans on when to do anything. this makes making shipping/moving reservations difficult. Tomorrow night I'm having dinner with the guys from work. Tomorrow is National Ride (your motorcycle) to Work day. I'm not working, but I'll ride anyway. Any excuse, right? :o)

Comments

Popular Posts