The cardboard cubist sculpture develops...


Slowly, my existence is being taken over by brown boxes. This Uni Ted guy really needs to branch out into some different colors or something. :o)

Discoveries in the basement
I had thought that most of the boxes in the basement had random stuff in them from past moves when I didn't really go through the boxes. Not so. Most of the boxes in the basement are boxes I've been saving to move with. Nice heavy Apple monitor and CPU boxes. Very good for breakable things.

I also found and labelled the fleeces down there. Several were already in boxes. There are seven fleeces in the basement. Two shetland. One romney? One merino mix. One coopworth (another dark gray fleece from Hidden Valley). And two crossbreed fleeces that I bought from some 4-H kids on the internet. I can't remember what they are. Perhaps Romney cross? Plus some washed Romney and Cotswold (just a pound or two each). And then there are the seven fleeces in my living room: two black shetlands, one white shetland, one Border Leicester cross (i think that's what it is), one white coopworth and two dark gray coopworths (Hidden Valley strikes again!).

I think there are probably three or four fleeces in my storage space too. Methinks it's time to get some of the silly things sent off for processing. I'm clearly not going to be getting them done by hand any time soon. Besides, I can't imagine how long it would take to get all that wool combed and ready to spin, nevermind the time it would take to tease/flick it and wash it.

In other fiber news....
I didn't go through the dyed commercially prepared roving, but there's a nice big Rubbermaid bin of that too. I did find a number of WsIP and USOs. Started projects include Jo's Alice Starmore sweater (only 8 years overdue for her birthday) and my green ski sweater. Unstarted projects include the Fibonacci Rib pullover from KnitPicks, the Cascading Cables pullover from Amazing Threads, the Peacock Shawl from Fiddlesticks Knittting, a red pullover from KnitPicks' Wool of the Andes yarn to be made into a circular seamless raglan, which is an Elizabeth Zimmermann pattern. I'm going to be a good girl and not start any of those projects or any other project until I get everything fiber-related put away at my new house. I've got plenty of already started projects handy if I need a break from the packing or unpacking.

So, even in the absence of any yarn/knitting shop in the Jackson area, I think I'm set on the yarn/fiber front for at least a little while. One of my early "tasks" in the new house will be to catalog the fiber/yarn/fabric stash since it'll now have its own room and will all be in one place.

Tonight's Task:
Boxing up the rest of the books upstairs and starting in on the coat closet and sweaters. I'm trying to pick things which I am not likely to be using in the next month and which also won't end up just being boxes in the way. I could probably tackle a lot of the kitchen utensils too and the garage.

Cold update:
Lovely dry non-productive cough. Semi-stuffed head. Thank goodness for decongestants, tylenol and cough syrup (even if it does seem to make me stupid).

In other news:
I found out that one of my favorite docs in the ED died last night. Dr. Baird was only 66. He'd apparently been diagnosed with an aneurysm some time ago and the best guess is that it ruptured. Visitation is Thursday and the funeral is Friday. I'd like to be back in C-U for the funeral, but I don't think I'll make it.

Comments

Mother Jones RN said…
I'm really very sorry to hear of Dr. Baird's death. I knew him personally and professionally (I'm a nurse), and he was a very nice man. I'm sure the entire hospital is saddened by his passing.

Mother Jones RN
Mother Jones RN said…
Hello, me again.

If you hear anymore details about what happened, would you please drop me a line at my e-mail address. Some how the e-mail address on my first post got messed up.

Respectfully, Mother Jones RN

Popular Posts