Annoyances and pictures

I found out what happened to the Monday annoyances. They saved themselves up for today.

I got a collection notice in the mail today for a phone bill that was paid in full two months ago, then billed again (labelled by the phone company as the "revised final bill") for service I never received. The account was cancelled on August 8th and the second final bill was for August 14th-September 14th. I called the phone company after the "revised bill" arrived and the customer support person verified that the account had indeed been cancelled on the 8th. She also cleared the charges associated with the account. That was almost two weeks ago. Today I received a notice from a collection agency stating that my account was sent to them. So I called AGAIN about a bill I should have *never* received. The phone company girl assured me that my balance was zero and that I can disregard the collection agency notice. What do you want to bet that in another two weeks I get yet another "final bill"? I did check my credit report (courtesy of the US Dept of Education's screw up several months ago) and verified that no collections actions are associated with my person. How hard is it to get things fixed the *first* time?!?!? I was good though. I didn't yell on the phone or get annoyed at the customer service girl. Once she verified things were ok, I thanked her and said that was all I needed.

Then I completely panicked. For some reason I was unable to see in my check register that I'd paid my mortgage. I thought I remembered paying it, but wasn't sure. Logged in to my bank account and the check just cleared a few days ago. Sure enough, once I got my brain connected to my eyes, there's the entry in the check register. That settles it. I'm going through both accounts and squaring everythign away in Quicken, then writing up a calendar for payments. It's the only way to stay organized and on top of things. This sort of brain lapse and inability to keep things organized is driving me nuts. I shouldn't still be this disorganized after moving.

The final annoyance? CSI is *not* on tonight. There's some stupid Ultimate Fighter Marathon on Spike TV instead. GRRRRRRR! And I was *really* looking forward to two hours of Gil Grissom's dry sense of humor too. DANG IT! So instead I'm flipping between the movie XXX (with Vin Diesel kicking butt) and an old Bette Davis movie on TCM. My attention is being captured by neither of them.

Alternate Entertainment:
Made a pot of spinach-potato soup. It's very green. Pretty tasty too, especially with a dollop of sour cream on top. The soup itself is missing something, but I'm not able to put my finger on what should be added. I would work on the finance straightening away this evening, but I've barely got two functional neurons left to rub together. Perhaps I'll make enchiladas for tomorrow's dinner or I could just play StarCraft or read a book after I clean up the kitchen.

Photos for the day:
The infamous AmphibiCows!

For some reason, the cows in this pasture are almost always in the pond. I could understand this during August when it was hot. Tonight it was in the 50s and still there was one cow in the pond. Perhaps she's having hot flashes. I think these cows aren't entirely mammals, thus the name amphibi-cows. In case you can't see her, the cow is on the right side of the pond, next to the fence post.

Block of cotton:
This is what a harvested cotton field produces. Giant bricks of cotton. I don't know what the expected yield of a cotton field is or how much cotton goes into one of these modules, but it's got to be several tons by weight. Heck, I don't even know if the cotton is ginned before being put into a module or not. I'd be interested to see the outcome of a crash between a car or truck and a cotton module. Did you know that two thirds of a cotton boll is actually seeds? Cotton seeds are a marketable product too. Cottonseed oil is used for cooking and is found in lots of snack products. The seed hulls get used as animal feed.

The leaves are just now starting to change colors, but in a week or so I should have some good photos of leaf color to post.

Comments

Popular Posts