Applause!

Today was an interesting day. It started with a late invite to the executive staff meeting. I got introduced to the county health directors, some of whom I'd already met. The director did the honors. I was described as having degrees in animal science and epidemiology. I was described as being "biologically qualified" to do the job. This confused people. What he meant was that I have the background in biology and science to do pretty much anything. There was some discussion that there had never been any good understanding of what the epidemologists could/should do in the region. The director indicated that I am a resource for everybody and encouraged them to call me. I am there to provide advice, consultation, information, etc. as needed. One county director asked me for my phone number. I'm hoping I get a call from folks in the next week. I very nearly said "Bring it on!" when the director said I am available to everybody.

At the end of the meeting it was announced that the syndromic surveillance system was now running on a daily basis. This yielded a round of applause with several folks turning to look at me. A comment was made by a colleague that I don't recall clearly, but it pointed out that it sure didn't take long for me to do what was apparently impossible for my predecessor. Then he and the person sitting next to him turned to look at me and nodded. I smiled. W00t!

It's getting COOOOOOOLD!
The temperature this morning was in the lower 40s. It only got into the 50s for a high and it's dropping now. I turned the heat on in the house. It was about 67 degrees in here when I got home. The front door desperately needs to be weatherstripped. You can see light around the edges of the door and the wind whistles. I suppose it may be easier to just put in a new door since the existing door doesn't fit completely square anyway. I've already turned on the electric blankie and I've tucked my PJs in underneath it to pre-warm them. That's gonna feel SOOOOOOOOOOOO good to climb into.

I've moved the container plants in to the garage. This weekend I should plant the Rose of Sharon seedlings and the maple tree I brought from Illinois. I picked up two dozen acorns out of the backyard. I'll plant a bunch of them in the yard too, then, after they sprout in the spring, will move them to where I want an oak tree. The grass hasn't grown enough that I'll be needing to mow this week. The overseeded area is sprouting nicely, for all that I only watered it once. The dew is heavy enough that I think it really helped things along.

Dinner:
Had a big baked potato from the local BBQ joint at lunch. Tonight I had a cheese quesadilla and a big steaming bowl of spinach soup. I will finish off with a big hot mug of tea. My hands are quite chilly and feeling a bit numb. I'll work on some menu stuff for next week. I think I'll hit the grocery store on the way home tomorrow instead of making a separate trip in to town on Saturday morning.

Knitting this week

I haven't done any knitting since Monday's meeting. I am going to try and finish my scarf this weekend. Then I'll work on either socks or the lace shawl I started a couple of weeks ago. I won't get that shawl finished for this winter, I don't think. The office is apparently pretty cold most of the winter. I may need a space heater. Today I felt like I needed gloves, but that was mostly because my hands were cold from driving in to work.

Photos for the day
I saw the mantis again tonight. She's turning yellow. I hope it's just for the fall, not a sign that she's dying at the end of the season. When I first saw her, her arms were over her eyes, as though she were playing hide and seek.

And, tonight's sunset....

Comments

Twitchh said…
Yayyyyyy, Applause!

Good to see that the people you're working with are the sorts of folks who give public recognition to your contributions! W00t!

You rock! :o)

Popular Posts