Smooth and Easy Saturday

Today went very well. I woke up listening to NPR and hauled myself out of bed about 8am. Got put together and headed in to town by 9am. Got groceries for the next two weeks and got all my errands done by noon.

I even stopped at the Ag Experiment Station and examined various plants I might want to put in my yard. There's a GORGEOUS ginko tree there. I don't particularly like ginko trees in my own yard, but I think they look nice in other people's yards. To me there's just too much risk of getting a female tree and having it produce fruit. It's really stinky fruit, especially once it starts to rot/ferment. Stinky enough to be referred to as "corpse berries" and "barf fruit". Whatever you do, don't get it on your SHOES. Anyway, this particular tree is very nicely shaped with a heavily branched trunk. I can't wait to see it once the leaves turn color. Ginkos always turn a bright yellow and the leaves stay on the tree until a good hard frost, then fall off all at once. There's a nice gum tree with a hole in the side of it too. It would not be out of place in a haunted forest. I snagged a pocketful of acorns to plant at my house.

Other plants of note: a large tropical palm looking thing, which didn't have a sign. I think it would look nice by the pool or perhaps just along the south or west side of the house. There was an unusual looking ornamental pepper plant. The leaves were purplish and the fruits were basically black marbles. Quite distinctive. Lots of basil was planted and it seems to do VERY well. I hadn't seen dianthus before but it seems like it would be a nice border plant.

Once I got back home, I put away the groceries and mowed the lawn. Washed the mower. Still haven't gotten the mower up on blocks and thoroughly scrubbed underneath the mower deck, but I always blast it really good under there with the hose. Today I got the dust washed off of it too. I'm sure the neighbors two doors down think I'm crazy to actually wash my mower with soap, just like I wash my car. Wait til they see me wax it. :o)

Now I'm hanging out on the couch. I have a bit of a headache and I'm tired. I should probably put a load of laundry in the wash. And cook dinner. I may very well just stay on the couch and knit while watching movies on TV.

Comments

Popular Posts