Marathon Day

Today is the annual running of the Chicago Marathon. Obviously I'm not there this year, but I do think I'll get there next year and I fully expect to hack at least 2 1/2 hours off my previous (and only) best time. It'll be cool to cut that much time, but I'll only ever be able to do that once. My goal is to actually run most of the race, instead of walking it. No matter how fast I ever get, I'll always be a Penguin. Waddle on! :o)

Also running today in Chicago, is Dean Karnazes. Dean is running in 50 marathons in 50 days in 50 states. The idea is to get people to get off the couch and start getting active. I don't know that an elite ultramarathoner will inspire the average overweight Joe to get off the couch. Intimidate one into staying on the couch, perhaps.

Yesterday was the Ironman Triathlon in Kona, Hawaii. Years ago I decided that I would finish a marathon by the age of 35 and by the age of 40 I was going to complete an Ironman distance triathlon. I've already proven to be stubborn enough to not quit in a marathon when I had effectively NO TRAINING prior to the start of the race. Just imagine what I can do with training....

Marathon Day activities:
I'm not running today. I'm not even going walking. My right knee and hip are rather unhappy still. I'm hoping that regular chondroitin supplementation will help with that and I should check in with my primary care doc once I pick one. I will get on the trainer later today however. An hour on the bike will be fun and doesn't seem to aggravate my knee at all.

I did jump into a marathon cleaning session though. I started to put away things in the guest room. I also steam cleaned the carpet in there. The dresser is in the right spot. I've decided which direction to put the futon. I even have a space to put the nightstand from the living room. I think I'll put the kids books in the spare bedroom too. That won't free up a whole lot of shelf space in the living room, but it's a good division of resources.

Yesterday was something of a marathon cleaning session too. The routine stuff got done yesterday (vacuuming, clean bathroom, clean kitchen, mop floors, laundry, grocery shopping, washing/vacuuming car). I also moved some of the lawn stuff to the yard barn after I completely cleaned out the yard barn. I started to fill in one of the big potholes in the yard too. Just to aggravate the moles, I dug up some of their tunnels. I don't know that it'll actually make any difference to the moles. The backyard now looks like it's got acne. The mole damage wasn't all that visible from the deck. My excavations are. :o) Oopsie. That's ok. I don't expect to spend much time on the deck now that it's getting cold. In fact, now that I think about it, I should move the grill to the yard barn too.

Quote of the day:
"As unfair as a hailstorm at harvest time...." Isn't that about right?

Knitting Today...
My newest project is the Kiri Shawl knitted in camel-colored laceweight cashmere I bought from The Twice Sheared Sheep. I've decided to rip out the grey cabled socks I've been working on. The pattern just isn't right and I did just find the perfect pattern for that yarn--the Cablenet socks from the Fall 2006 Knitty.

Walking Tall Trivia
I just caught an ad for the movie Walking Tall, starring The Rock. It'll be on TNT later this week. The trivia: Buford Pusser, the main character in the Walking Tall movies, is from McNairy County, Tennessee, which is less than a day's drive from here. Apparently he thoroughly aggravated the folks engaged in illegal activities along the Tennessee-Mississippi border for a number of years.

Comments

Twitchh said…
Gooooooooo, Mary!! Good luck with the hip and knee and kick butt with your training! I'll be hooting and beaming and cheering for you when you run next year! :-) (Well, probably a lot before then, too, but you know what I mean... :-) )

W00t! And congrats again for doing the last one! Just to have finished it at all (walking or running, either way) a heck of an accomplishment most people will never be able to claim.

You rock! :o)

(And penguins are pretty dang cool, too!)
:o)

Popular Posts