GERMIES!

E. coli strikes again! This time in ground beef. The company involved says the recall is unnecessary since nobody's gotten sick. The microbiology results indicate the germ is indeed there. Personally, I think it's a bit irresponsible to say the product doesn't need to be recalled. Certainly releasing for sale any food product known to be contaminated doesn't seem a good idea. It's also likely to generate all sorts of criminal negligence issues. I suppose they're not really thinking about the potential repercussions of what might happen if the USDA tests are right. Hudson Foods, a much larger producer of ground beef, ended up going out of business following an E. coli outbreak that was traced back to them.

TV today
Watched International Velvet on TCM. Obviously, this is one of my favorite movies since it features horses. (trivia note: the book National Velvet was the first "grown up" book I ever purchased. I got it at Kroch and Brentano's in downtown Chicago when I was in 2nd or 3rd grade. It's still on my shelf and I read it every couple of years.) I skipped watching Double Indemnity. While I really like Barbara Stanwyck and Fred MacMurray, I just don't like that particular movie. The characters in it just have no redeeming value that I can see. I suppose that's the point, but I still don't like it.

On the topic of horses....

I have a standing offer from a woman at work to come ride horses at her place. She's got more horses than she can get to and so does a neighbor/relative of hers. Her horses are gaited horses by breed, but not necessarily trained to be gaited show horses. I've never ridden a gaited horse. As soon as I track down a helmet, I'll give Becky a call and see about riding a bit. Need to get one pair of boots resoled too. Fortunately I've got two pair....

Movie quotes:
"She thought she was last in the race if there was anybody in front of her."
"I'm never going to be what people expect me to be."
Those statements could well apply to someone I know, don't you think? :o)

Knitting progress:
I've got the body of the cottage tea cosy felted. I'm holding off on knitting the roof until I get some existing projects finished, like the green polo sweater and some socks.

Today's plan:
Knitting on my lace scarf. I might even manage to get it finished up. I've got some socks to darn and the ends to weave in on a couple pair I finished ages ago. Since I'm still not feeling 100%, that would be a good activity for today. Maybe later I'll have a go at putting away my office. I don't know if I'll get cookies made today or not, but my co-workers will survive.

More of today's plan:
Haven't been out of the house yet. I only got to a shower about 5pm. I did get some work done in the office though. I successfully opened half a dozen boxes that I can't actually put away yet. Still haven't found my Palm Pilot. I did get the shelves on top of the computer desks put on though, so that's something. I should make my list of things to do for tomorrow. I also need to fold and put away the laundry from the past couple of weeks. The stack of clean t-shirts on my floor is growing and has been annoying me for a while.

Comments

Popular Posts