Learning in Nashville

It's quite the popular place this week. The President even showed up today for a political fundraiser, just in time to completely screw up the evening rush hour traffic. I've already seen this president in person a couple of times. Personally, I'd have rather been learning MS SQL. Oh, wait, I *was* learning MS SQL....

Now I can mangle data with a completely new application!! Actually, it's quite interesting. The actual scripting seems to be quite straight forward. So far knowing other programming and scripting languages isn't a hindrance. We'll see how much of what I learned today I can still remember tomorrow.

DINNER!
Ate at a lovely restaurant called Monell's. It's located in a beautifully restored old house. The menu is standard Southern home cooking--fried chicken, green beans, broccoli salad, corn pudding, mashed potatoes, biscuits--served family style. There was peach cobbler for dessert, served steaming hot. It's probably a good thing I don't live in Nashville because I'd be eating there a LOT and putting on a lot of weight too! I'll definitely be back.

Last night we ate at Macaroni Grill where I had what was essentially a gourmet version of mac and cheese, but with chicken, shrimp and prosciutto in it. And no processed cheese food product involved or any yellow-orange food coloring. For dessert I had a piece of lemon cake with some lemon custard on top. Quite yummy, but a bit heavier than I'd expected. I wasn't able to finish it and that rarely happens.

Angel Hair Yarn Co
Before dinner, we stopped at Angel Hair Yarn Co. On the drive up here, we discovered that we're both knitters and spinners. She also crochets. So we had to stop off at a yarn shop while we were here. I picked up some Anne sock yarn in a blue colorway and some Sockotta in a green/brown/white colorway, which was 1/2 off.

Bookstore Junkie
Of course, since there was a bookstore near the restaurant we ate at on Tuesday, we had to stop in there too. I now have a copy of R.A. Salvatore's Icewind Dale trilogy, featuring the introduction of the dark elf, Drizzt Do' Urden. I also picked up two books by the Dalai Lama.

Next on my agenda:
Figuring out my new schedule so that I have regular time to read my new books (and the old ones I've been meaning to read) plus regular workouts and knitting too. Working only 7.5 hours a day (compared to working 12.5 hours a day) leaves me with LOTS of usable after work time, even if I only get two days off a week. I think I can be a lot more productive than I'm presently being. I'll use some of the time logs from the UI's studying course and find out how I"m using my time away from work and identify the ways I'm not using my time effectively. Come on improved productivity!! :o)

Comments

Twitchh said…
*INDISPENSABLE*! :-)

Gooooo, Mary!

And remember,

21 % 7 = 0

:-)
Ruby Louise said…
Or something like that.

And, yes, 21%7=0. So does 18%9.

*squee*!
:o)
C. H. Green said…
I'm a bookstore Junkie too. Too bad Jackson is down to only one, Books a Million I think. I loved Davis-Kidd and hated to see it go.
Ruby Louise said…
I was particularly bummed out when I not only discovered Davis-Kidd had closed, but it had closed (with a big sale, no less) just the weekend before I stopped by. On the other hand, my next door neighbor works at Books-A-Million and it sounds like I'll be headed off to Nashville at least once a month so I can get my book shopping fix then. Like I need more books anyway....
Betty said…
Davis Kidd moved to a newer larger location at the Mall at Green Hills. It's not gone. :)
Ruby Louise said…
The company may exist, but the closest store is now more than two hours away from my town.

Popular Posts