NaNoWriMo Strikes Again!

Ok, so last year I signed up for National Novel Writing Month, aka NaNoWriMo, where the goal is to write a 50,000 word novel during the month of November.  I decided I was going to work on a non-fiction book idea rather than a novel, but figured that was really a minor detail in the grand scheme of things.  And then I apparently expected myself to automagically churn out the writing without actually making any plans, arrangements or really any effort at all to get the work done.  Hmmm....  To paraphrase Dr. Phil, "How'd that work out for ya?"  If you expect that it worked out pretty much not at all, in terms of actually getting anything done, you'd be correct.  This year I've realized that if I want to actually accomplish goals, I have to do more than just write them down and expect the Universe to deliver them to me.

So.....I'm writing.  I've had a novel idea bouncing in my pointy little head for a while now.  Mostly it's in bits and pieces.  Today a big piece developed itself while I was in the shower. (Why do these things only ever happen when there is NO paper and pencil handy? Note to self: Buy bath crayons and use the shower doors for something besides cultivating soap scum.)  I don't know how far I'll get with this, but I'm apparently on my way.  I don't expect it to be perfect or even readable by anybody but me, but it'll be better than letting the idea wither away in my head.  Besides, if I get this idea out, another one might pop up to take its place.

It's amazing how much work I am getting done in a quiet house with no music, no TV, no running washing machine and no other distractions.  This is even better than hanging out at Espresso Royale in Urbana and people watching my way into stories of strangers. w00t!

Comments

Popular Posts