How About That?! 500 Posts

I have apparently posted 500 messages to this blog. Who'd a thunk it? I can't say that much of what I've had to say has been particularly profound or important, but then again I'm not exactly expecting to win a Pulitzer Prize here. Mostly I strive for being coherent, avoiding typos, and using grammar that is not appalling.

Here We Go Again
For better or for worse, I seem to be in a phase where I forget to zip my pants. This only seems to happen at work and only if I'm wearing work pants, not jeans. But it happens every time I go to the bathroom. *sigh* I have had this phase before. Fortunately it only lasted two or three days.

I Have a Lumpy!
I have created a new Lumpy for myself. Lumpy is the affectionate name I have for a small pillow made of recycled jeans denim and filled with dry white rice. Throw it in the microwave for a few minutes and *voila!* A small little heating lump. It's actually perfect for preheating my bed now that my electric blanket has died. It's even better for putting underneath my feet when I sit in my comfy chair, or behind my neck.

My previous Lumpy finally fell apart after probably five years of service. The cotton fabric finally disintegrated and let out some odd orange crumbles that used to be long-grain white rice. I immediately wanted a new Lumpy, but didn't need one right away so didn't make one. This past weekend my feet were freezing and I couldn't get them warm. Coincidentally, I also had a pile of jeans that needed to be thrown out/retired. And now I have a new Lumpy.

Books of the Week:
This week's library treasures include Robert Asprin's new book Dragons Wild, The Lace Reader by Brunonia Barry, The Smart One and the Pretty One by Claire LaZebnik and 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die. The Lace Reader is a novel about a woman who can read the future in patterns of lace. The Smart One and the Pretty One is about two sisters. Dragons Wild just looks fun, as most Asprin books do.

Last library trip, I picked up 1001 Paintings You Must See Before You Die, which I thoroughly enjoyed. 1001 Paintings reminded me how lucky I have been in the past to live within a few hours' drive of the Art Institute in Chicago and its glorious permanent and visiting collections. I have had the luxury of seeing the Vatican Collection, the largest group of Monets in a single location and a lovely Renoir exhibit. There was also an exhibit about Seurat and the making of La Grande Jatte. The book 1001 Paintings... features full color images of the paintings in question along with a brief commentary on the work and/or the artist, to help put the painting into a historical context. Information is also given about where the painting can be found. Most of the works in question are located in museums, but a few remain in private collections. This book would make a fine guidebook to direct you to the finest art museums in the world.

This week I was delighted to see 1001 Books You Must Read. At a glance, I see that the book is not limited to only European and American writings. I just flipped past the entry for Kokoro by Natsume Soseki. As with 1001 Paintings..., 1001 Books... is in chronological order by publication year. Approximately 2/3 of 1001 Books... is 20th Century books and there is a small section for 21st Century works. The entries feature a brief list of author and book information (lifespan, date of first publication, original or full title and the original language. Where applicable, the given name of the author is also provided. Most entries feature a photo of the author or a photo of a book cover or other illustration. I'd like to say that I'll make a project out of reading all 1001 books, but I know I won't get that done. I do think it'll be a good source of inspiration for things to read on those days when I think I'm bored or have nothing to read.

Comments

Popular Posts