Francis Likes Cookies!

I found Francis the Ladybug munching on a cookie this morning.


I didn't think to offer him a glass of milk. When I got home, he was just hanging out on the cooling rack, but by dinnertime he was back on the cookie again.

I Reject Your Reality and Substitute My Own
I had to tell a well-meaning person this week that they could not copy part of one of my websites and re-post it on a different site. Somehow she believes this is adding some value to the information. While she did take the material down, she told me that many people had told her that her site was very useful and that she hoped that I would consider putting a similar webpage up at the existing site--the site from which she took the information to begin with. It has been suggested that I call her and ask her what added value she thought she was supplying, but I'm not certain that conversation would be at all productive or constructive. It certainly wouldn't do anything for me but frustrate the daylights out of me. She did graciously pull down the information I asked her to remove, so that's good.

No, we will NOT culture the daycare.
Ok, the MRSA panic is getting out of hand. If one child develops a MRSA infection, the entire day care population should NOT be tested for MRSA. For starters, a third of the US population is an asymptomatic carrier of MRSA in their noses or on their skin. Second, there is NO treatment for asymptomatic carriers of MRSA. You only treat it if it causes an infection and symptoms. The only way to eradicate asymptomatic carriage of MRSA is heavy doses of antibiotics to destroy ALL the bacteria in the body. If you've ever had diarrhea as a side effect to taking antibiotics, imagine doing that for a week or more. And there's no guarantee that you won't end up picking up MRSA from the environment again after you finish the antibiotics. MRSA is present in the environment--on door knobs, railings, handles, telephones, counters, money and anything else that people pick up. It is generally kept in check by the immune system. It only needs to be treated if it causes an actual infection, whether that be in a wound or an invasive infection.

Take a deep breath folks. It's just a bacteria and it's only resistant to ONE class of antibiotics (methicillin). It's treatable. Your best bet is still to wash your hands regularly and have infected wounds treated by your healthcare provider, especially if the redness around the wound spreads and/or develops streaks or you become feverish. If you have an infected wound, it needs to be kept covered with a clean, dry bandage so as to prevent spreading infection to others. Wash and dry your hands thoroughly before and after changing the dressing. It really is pretty simple to manage.

Comments

Popular Posts