The Changing of the Seasons

It must be getting closer to spring....
I mowed the lawn today. The grass isn't growing yet, but the weeds were getting a bit tall. I took a "before" picture so you could see the lovely purple blooms in the "grass", but I hadn't put the SD card back in my camera, so I didn't save it. I do have a nice "after" picture though. I also pulled out part of the fence that the previous owners put up by the garden plot and also pulled up the ground cover fabric (which frankly wasn't doing a very good job of suppressing weeds). The back section of wire fence will have to remain for a while. Right now there is a blackberry bramble growing through it. When the previous owners planted it, they wove it through the mesh. I don't know why. It doesn't make much sense to me, but that's what they did. I haven't decided if I'll transplant it to a more convenient location or just get rid of it completely. I'm not the biggest fan of blackberries. I'd rather have black raspberries. Yum!

"Green" Food
I can tell when it is spring time when I start moving away from eating soup and start eating lots of rice and other grains. Tonight I ate Southwestern Risotto. Later this week I'll make some rice salad. Of course the changing of the season doesn't really impact my eating bean burritos at home 2-4 times a week, though I do tend to add more veggies and rice to the mix. Soon there will be lettuce at the farmer's market. And soon there will be fresh veggies from my garden. By June I won't eat much besides seasonally available fresh fruits and veggies. I can't wait for the Strawberry Festival in May. That will be really yummy. I might have to try making strawberry jam. I don't think I've ever made jam before.

Comments

Popular Posts