Veggie Goodness

I grilled some summer squash today. It's going to be the basis for my lunch all this week. I can hardly wait to eat it.

As you can see, I've got lots more left to cook. Ordinarily, I'd pick them much earlier than this, so as to have squash with fewer and smaller seeds. These critters, however, were awaiting me after my week's vacation in July. Depending upon how the slowly declining zucchini and yellow squash plants continue to produce, I may compost these squash and just grill the newer, smaller ones.

I've also got a good supply of tomatoes. I might actually have to do something with them besides eating 2-3 of them a day. I'm just about to exceed my ability to continue eating fresh tomatoes at that pace. It's not that I like them any less, just that I don't feel the need to gorge myself on them because I know I'm going to continue to have tomatoes for several more weeks to come. And after that I'll have green tomatoes, which are also good.

The next garden related activity will be the harvesting of the basil plants. I didn't do a very good job of sowing the seed, but the basil did very well by the back door. This is only 4-6 plants. Time to make some pesto cubes.

Equally productive were the two pineapple sage plants I found at Lowe's. I don't know what I'll do with the leaves, but I love how it smells. I have a lemon-sage cookie recipe. I wonder how pineapple sage would do in that. Might have to give it a try.

Working Out Update
I did a full hour on the treadmill on Saturday morning, plus a complete weight circuit. I'll have to add the pec deck soon and some crunches. The pool is looking increasingly appealing too, but I don't think I'm ready to swim laps yet. For some odd reason, the networked weight machines don't record my workouts to the server. I've been having to add my weight circuits manually, which rather defeats the purpose of logging into the machines before I lift. So far, I have lifted the total weight equivalent of 5 elephants! (At least that's what Fitlinxx.com says)

I don't think I've actually lost any weight, but I did pull my belt in a notch the other day. I don't think my jeans fit that much more loosely. I'm still waiting to fit into my navy blue Dockers. Two more weeks and I might be there. Oddly enough, I'm just entertained by going and getting sweaty. I don't really need the motivation of the race in January to keep me going. I'm having fun getting out of the house and seeing folks at the gym who smile and wave. And the mighty endomorphins don't hurt either.

Comments

Stefaneener said…
I love love love summer veggies. Last night an impromptu get together featured grilled peppers, zucchs, corn and portobellos, with a side salad of sliced tomatoes and olive oil with a little balsamic vinegar on it.
I felt so full after eating those that I didn't need anything else. Man, they were so good that I wanted to a) actually garden again and b) get a barbecue.
You can freeze blanched tomatoes, you know, so you can throw them into soups, etc. later on.

Popular Posts