Progress Report

I have a pot of vegetable-barley soup simmering on the stove, which will be dinner for tonight and tomorrow. Last night I tidied up the fiber room a bit and even started in on the computer room. What I'm avoiding doing is cleaning off my desks. My desks (there are three of them) and an end of the kitchen counter tend to accumulate detritus. The daily debris that need further attention, but that I don't have the time or mental energy to handle at the time, so it piles up. Once it reaches a certain level I try to avoid it, which really just causes it to grow more in an attempt to gain my attention. By the time I do get to it, it's a big deal and takes hours, which isn't any fun. You'd think I'd learn and handle it a little bit at a time each week or a couple times a week. But no. I'm the same way about folding laundry.

One thing which is likely to help me with the cleaning up process is the lack of any good movies on TV. TCM is showing an assortment of John Wayne westerns today. While I think Mr. Wayne is an excellent actor and several of his westerns are fine films, I'm just not a huge fan of them, though I do enjoy some of his WWII movies. In his westerns, he plays one of three different characters: the cavalryman, the rancher or the lawman. Most of them are opinionated curmudgeons, usually with a heart of gold, but they have little depth. Inevitably they drag, hit or kiss the leading lady into submission. (She did, of course, hate him completely until being sufficiently dragged, hit or kissed, whereupon she is now utterly head over heels in love with him forever. Caveman romance at its best!) With that said, there are some John Wayne westerns that I do like. Rooster Cogburn is pretty entertaining and The Cowboys is an early version of City Slickers. I must also say that Mr. Wayne does sit a horse well and doesn't appear to take himself too seriously most of the time. I think my biggest complaint is that too many of his movies are rather formulaic. It would have been interesting to see him play a bad guy.

For what it's worth, I also don't care much for Jimmy Cagney.

On that note, I'm going to start clearing out desk drawers in the big desk.

Comments

Popular Posts