Hmmmm.....

Well, today isn't turning out quite how I expected/intended.  For starters I've got a killer headache that I think is largely due to bad sinus congestion. (Here's hoping some ibuprofen, pseudoephedrine and caffeine will fix that shortly.)  I had intended to do some work on the house/yard today, but in addition to the headache there's also a bit of rain.  That rather puts the kibosh on checking the gutters for leaf build-up, on cleaning the fence in preparation for painting, on spraying the weeds in the lawn, on burning off the garden and burn pile and on weeding/re-doing flowerbeds.

For indoor activities, I could bake bread (which would also warm up and smell up the house nicely), write a couple of letters, clean off my desk, re-size the photos from my trip to visit Boy so I can post them to this blog, read from the pile of magazines waiting for me, vacuum, finish laundry and declutter a box or two.  At the moment, with my headache, I don't feel much like doing anything at all.  I might knit something but only if it involves not having to read a pattern.  I might start some Oatmeal Toasting Bread anyway.  Most of the work for it is done by the mixer with lots of breaks in between.  I really want some nice warm bread. (Update: just poured the boiling water over the oatmeal to start the bread and took the lump of old dough out of the freezer.  I look forward to having fresh bread by dinner time.)  I think I'll spend most of the day curled up in my favorite chair with a tasty beverage, watching TV (hopefully something will be on that's worth watching) and perhaps knitting.


Speaking of Baking....
It's the time of year when I start thinking about holiday baking gifts.  Last winter I picked up a new cookie magazine (The Best of Fine Cooking--Cookies), but I didn't have a chance to bake anything from it. I'll need to figure out the 2009 baking list soon, then stock up on ingredients. 

Since I've started making more healthy food choices for myself in the past year, I have considered switching to more healthy ingredients when baking too.  I could, for example, use whole wheat and other whole grain flours, rather than white flour.  For some recipes, this wouldn't make much of a difference, but for others it would be a definite change.  I'm not sure I want to bother with egg replacers.  I'm rather fond of simple, cheap eggs and I know exactly how they'll behave when I cook with them.  The same can't be said for the various egg replacers options available.  Of course, it also seems a bit silly to me to try and turn all possible food items into something healthy.  I'm an advocate of all things in moderation and in following that moderation guide, I figure that a full-fat, full-sugar baked good or three on occasion isn't a bad thing.  Now, if I could only manage to NOT eat an entire bowl of cookie dough in a week.  It would probably help if I'd stop using it as a main course for dinner some nights....

Hope you're all warm and dry wherever you are!

Comments

Popular Posts