Must Find Next Book

I am finally about to finish reading Cryptonomicon. This has been both my bedtime and lunchtime reading material for several weeks now. For a while, it was supplanted at lunch by a biography of Warren Buffet, but then a) the Buffet book had to be returned to the library and b) Cryptonomicon got really good and I didn't want to miss anything by not reading it at lunch too. (Yes, I know intellectually that technically nothing happens in the book after I put it down. You try telling yourself that when the pace of the book takes off on you and you have to stop before you're ready to stop.)

I have another library book checked out for bedtime reading. It is Heart of the Ronin by Travis Heerman. It's the first book of a forthcoming series of historical fiction/adventure fantasy. The protagonist is a 17 year old ronin (a masterless samurai) with the de rigeur mysterious past and powerful sword. There are, of course, the usual conspiracies, betrayals, treacheries and, no doubt, sword fights. The title caught my eye on the new book shelf, so I snagged it. I have no idea if it will be any good.

My lunchtime reading choice is still up in the air. I happened across an older copy of Dave Ramsay's Total Money Makeover. I've skimmed through it. Not sure it's something I could really concentrate on at lunch. I suspect I might get too caught up in the worksheets. I am also considering limiting my lunchtime reading to just books from my home library for a while. I have a bad tendency to purchase books, then to not read them because I get sidetracked by newer, more interesting books at the library that I just have to check out. I don't pay as much attention to my personal collection because I know it is always available while the library books may be checked out by other patrons. I may write myself a prioritized list of the books I own that I want to read sooner rather than later. Perhaps I'll make two lists: one fiction and one non-fiction or one bedtime and one lunchtime reading. Either way, I think I'll ease up on the library books for a little bit.

This moratorium on library books does not, of course, apply to audiobooks. Right now I've got a Miss Marple mystery waiting for me, plus one of Suze Orman's books. I've never read any of her books on financial matters, though I have read magazine articles or columns she has written. Audiobooks are how I keep myself from hopping off the treadmill/elliptical at the gym before I finish my workout. Some mornings I want to be entertained and other times I want to stretch my brain a bit before work. It's marvelous stuff.

Comments

Stefaneener said…
We're reading a new trilogy -- about an assassin's apprentice, and the first one is harsh, but you might like it. And when/if the name comes to me, I'll let you know.

yours sounds interesting. I'll have to put it on the list.

Popular Posts