Miscellaneous Observations

Happy Bus!
There are several school buses which pass by when I'm driving to work. You may remember several months ago that one of them tried to run me over (the driver apparently didn't know that she'd take up two lanes when she turned onto the road in front of me). There is one driver who always wears a dress shirt and tie. He also waves at every car that goes past. I've taken to waving back. It's just a bright spot in the morning and a little extra incentive to leave the house on time.

Book Sale Results!
Saturday was the last day of the book sale. The remaining books were half off (75 cents for paperbacks and $1 for hardbacks) or you could fill a paper grocery bag for $8. I had only intended to pick up two or three specific titles since I had already been to the sale twice earlier in the week. I did at least have the sense to pick up a shopping basket, even for just two or three books. I ended up with 43 books. Mostly paperbacks. I hit the "classics" table pretty hard. I even managed to pick up two copies of Silas Marner. Oopsie. On the other hand, I now own many of the books on the 100 greatest novels list, so I have few excuses for not reading "good" books.

Eating Decisions
On Tuesday--Mardi Gras, which I thought was appropriate--I decided to quit eating unhealthy foods and start putting the good stuff into my body. No more meat and I've managed to not eat any cheese in almost a week. I still have milk in my coffee, but bet I can quit that in the next month. I am even giving up caffeine and diet soda, just as soon as I finish off the last few cans of caffeine-free diet Pepsi I bought a few weeks ago. Conveniently, I was able to pick up several cookbooks at the book sale which will help me accomplish my healthy eating goals.

On Friday, several of us from work went to a Japanese steakhouse. I opted for the stir-fried veggies and a cucumber roll. (Both were very delicious and the veggie mix was mostly broccoli, zucchini, mushrooms and onions, instead of being mostly cabbage like Kamakura had started to do.) The server who took our order asked if I was vegetarian. I replied yes without even thinking and said I'd given up eating meat. Nobody seemed to think anything of it. Now it's all up to me to follow through. I know that several co-workers will probably think it's crazy to give up meat and animal products and very restrictive. I disagree. First, I rarely buy meat to prepare at home and don't usually eat it when dining out either. Nearly every restaurant I've gone to offers at least a few items which are vegetarian, if not completely vegan. Then there is the broad variety of fresh and frozen produce options at the grocery store. I've made some delicious chili this week. I have a good supply of grains and dried beans in the pantry. Mix them up with some veggies or even fruits and I have LOTS of eating options that are healthy for me. I don't expect to feel deprived at all. In fact, right now, I'm going to go make myself a nice steaming bowl of oatmeal with raisins, applesauce and cinnamon. Yum!

Comments

Popular Posts