I am better than Oreos

There's a story behind that statement..... I sent Mitch a box of cookies last week so he could make the eyes of his co-workers roll back in their heads with bliss. I sent a batch of oatmeal raisin and a batch of peanut butter cookies. Only I used the wrong peanut butter cookie recipe. They were good cookies, but not *really* good. The peanut butter flavor wasn't as strong as I like and they weren't as chewy as I like them to be. They were good, but not "makes me weak in the knees" good. Yes, I have high standards for my cookies too, just like everything else. What's funny is that one of Mitch's co-workers agrees with that assessment ("It was very good, but not as good as the last batch." I think was what she said.) On the other hand, several of the co-workers who don't know any different said these were really good. So Mitch pointed out that they were really substandard. This apparently caused much drooling.

Anyway, on to the Oreo story... Today there was a staff meeting. Jason had said something about Mitch bringing cookies to the meeting. Mitch brought his Oreo cookie tin. Jason came in late and was going to leave before getting a cookie. Mitch caught his eye and indicated the tin. Jason's face lights up. He opens the tin and looks in. He looks at Mitch with wide-eyes and says "Peanut butter?" in a hopeful voice. Mitch sadly shakes his head and says "No, the peanut butter cookies are gone." Crestfallen, Jason replies, "I guess I could take a couple of Oreos. Thanks for nothing." He was actually irritated and Mitch wondered if he was actually pissed off. It would seem that Oreos are a very poor substitute for my cookies, esp for peanut butter cookies (at least in Jason's eyes). Perhaps I'll make Jason his very own bag of a half dozen of
the *good* peanut butter cookies. Jason hasn't had the *good* peanut butter cookies. I hope someone tells him to bring milk to the meeting.

I really will have to get the Desserted Islands Bakery website up soon.

It's *SNOWING*!!!!!
See?!?!?

This did not happen where I am. Where I am, it was 50 degrees today. Rainy, but still 50 degrees. This snow is back in Champaign-Urbana, Illinois. C-U got somewhere in the neighborhood of 8-12 inches of snow with 30-40 mph winds. The snow is expected to continue overnight. For the first time in 60-something years (or something like that), the University of Illinois cancelled classes today. And already cancelled them for tomorrow too. It's a wonder the Alma Mater doesn't sit down due to shock. They haven't cancelled classes since 1979. I'm not sure the civil rights and Vietnam War protests/riots managed to get classes cancelled.

This means the students will be out building snowmen, having snowball fights and going shopping and drinking. Mind you, they should be staying indoors instead of going out and causing accidents for my buddies at Pro Ambulance and the Urbana and Champaign Fire Departments to clean up. I imagine the police departments are about ready to kill people too because many folks will think that getting the day off work due to bad weather means that it's plenty safe enough to go to the mall or wherever else they want to go, instead of staying home. At least fire and EMS crews get to clear faster *and* we don't have to respond to property damage only incidents. The police get the short end of that stick.

Comments

Popular Posts