More on traditions....

To start with, I, personally, do not happen to celebrate Christmas. Yes, I buy presents for friends and family, but that's not a Christmas thing. Its origin is actually in the Roman winter solstice festival of Saturnalia. That's where decorating evergreen trees came from too, by the way.

I do not wish people a Merry Christmas. I will say Happy Holidays, but not Merry Christmas because I don't celebrate that holiday. It bugs me a bit that people borrow the holidays from a religion that are convenient or somehow result in some benefit to them (like the loot from gift giving at Christmas), but don't follow the rest of the religion that goes along with it. Seems a bit hypocritical to me, but that's their choice. I do advise some people to have Happy Solstice or a Happy Yule but those tend to be people who really don't care what holidays the people around them celebrate.

Comments

Popular Posts