Be Afraid, Be Very Afraid

Grendel is coming.....
That ubermonster of history will soon make an appearance on the SciFi channel in its own movie. Grendel, you see, is an ancient monster featured in the poem Beowulf (c. 700-1000 AD). Grendel moved his scary little self into the mead hall and made it uninhabitable. Our hero, Beowulf, kills Grendel by ripping its arm off, whereupon Grendel bleeds to death. Grendel's mother then shows up to avenge her offspring's death, but is also slain by Beowulf. I can't imagine this left the meadhall in much of a useable state, but I guess it's easier to clean up after a dead Grendel than after a live Grendel. It's your standard epic hero's tale from northern Europe. All it lacks is Valkyries.

I wonder if a Grue would scare Grendel. :o)

Silly Computer
My gaming box is being difficult. I'm trying to install the upgrades for Asheron's Call so I can game with the guys tomorrow. I got a lovely error that informed me that various applications on my machine (unrelated to AC in any way) were not Win32 applications, thus were not executable. This typically indicates it's time for a HD re-install. I have uninstalled the AC software and plugins. With any luck I'll be able to pinpoint where the problem arose and fix it. In the meantime, I'm cutting a quick backup of my files, just in case....

An interesting discovery...
I discovered yesterday that my living room window wasn't completely closed. I last had it open the weekend of Thanksgiving. I had managed to get one of the sash locks to close properly and the other one to latch on top of the female half of the bracket. I discovered this when I heard wind whistling through it after I opened the back door to get some fresh air. For the past month I've been trying to heat the great outdoors. I don't know that a whole lot of heat loss was occurring, but I imagine the living room won't cool off quite so quickly now. At least I found it now instead of in April or May when I opened the window!!

Cooking done!
The collard green and black-eyed pea soup is done. I threw in a couple handsful of rice when I started the slow cooker. It smells pretty good. I'll have it for lunch most of this week. Now I just need to whip up a batch of cornbread.

Winding down
Now I'm trying to decide whether I'd rather knit for the rest of the evening or do some spinning. I could probably finish another repeat on the Kiri shawl. I just don't know if I have the mental capacity left at the moment to not goof it up. I already have to fix the mistake I found yesterday.

Comments

Popular Posts