Post-Storm

Well, Sunday at work was "interesting". Just at shift change, a severe thunderstorm came through, complete with a tornado about a mile south of where I was. Spent an extra couple of hours at work waiting for the idiot people who just have to walk or drive around during a tornado to become injured. Lots of reports or trees and powerlines down. This came on top of having two ambulances out of town taking patients to St. Louis, so we were pretty darn busy as it was without holding over a couple of hours in case of disaster. Fortunately, nobody got hurt by falling/flying debris or live powerlines on the ground. And suprisingly, there were no car accidents as a result of stop lights being out, despite the fact that most drivers were failing to treat intersections with light that were out as 4-way stops. Heck, someone nearly t-boned my ambulance and I was legitimately IN the intersection. I guess they figured everybody else would stop for them, even when they didn't have the right of way.

On the job front
As frequently happens in my life, there is either feast or famine. I now have four different job interviews scheduled this month. Two of the jobs are local, one 1/2 time and one full-time. Neither exactly uses my PhD, but the full-time one would come closer to using it. The two out of town jobs are in public health, but then I wouldn't be able to take the paramedic class. Hopefully I'll end up with at least one job out of this. I am going to be royally irritated if I end up with nothing after getting this far.

Elsewhere in my reality
Still not getting around to working out regularly. I have been eating fairly well, however. I have given up on taking meals to work which require microwaving. It seems that when I do that, I end up never getting anywhere near a microwave and thus don't get to eat my lunch until 6pm. This makes for a long day and a crabby, irritable Mary. Since I hate being around me when I'm crabby and I can't exactly get away from myself, I"ve decided to go back to the old standby of the PB&J and other simple lunch items. I'll keep the casseroles and burritoes for dinner and my days off.

My Beachbody Premium Diet and Support Club has finally added vegetarian meal plan options. I like their menu planning tool. I can see at a glance how many servings of fruits, veggies, dairy, etc I'm eating in a day, plus total calories. The food listings are the most complete I've seen too and include some non-standard frozen vegetarian meals that I like to eat. With that said, I still need to work on eating more vegetables. I get plenty of fruit, but rarely enough veggies. That's my next fitness/diet goal: eating 3 servings of veggies a day.

Amusing websites/blogs for this week

http://sillysigns.blogspot.com/
Yes, they're real. I particularly like the hospital warning sign.

In case you need a new USB drive
http://gadgets.fosfor.se/the-top-10-weirdest-usb-drives-ever/

Comments

Popular Posts