Friday Friday Friday

And what a Friday it was. :o)

Tennis Tennis Tennis
Let's see....the Big 10 Women's Tennis Championship is on campus this weekend. Tom and I spent the day doing the ambulance standby there today. Tom had never watched tennis before. He had no idea what the rules were. So we're sitting there, watching a doubles match while Tom is on the phone to his girlfriend. The Northwestern players come sit down in front of us for a break just as Tom says "the action is pretty good so far, I guess." One of the players looks out of the corner of her eye at him while she takes a drink of water. As they go back out on the court for the next game, she says "just pretty good, eh?" Tom is embarassed. He hadn't realized his voice carried quite so well. After two more games, the players come back and the one woman says "Was that better action? We tried to make it more exciting for you." Tom says it was great and we all laugh. I said it was his first tennis match and he didn't quite understand things. Tom said it would probably be a lot more fun if he understood how to score the game. The player said she couldn't figure it out either and went off again to play. Northwestern team won the doubles match we watched.

Tom and I went off to get some lunch. On his way back from getting some nachos, Tom ran into the player who was picking on him. She said hi. Tom said hi and that he enjoyed watching the game. He also offered her some of his nachos, which she dove into. She also invited him to come watch her singles match. So we did and she won. Turns out her name is Feriel (a very pretty name for a lovely and tall young lady who makes an interesting sing-song noise when hitting the ball rather than the grunt that everybody else seemed to make). She said she hadn't played her best today. I told her she did well enough. She beamed. She giggled and grinned when we said we'd made arrangements to do the stand-by on Saturday too so we could watch her play. She called us her good luck charm. I hope she does well tomorrow.

I didn't know when I went to work that I'd be outside most of the day in the sun, so I didn't bring any sunscreen. Needless to say I got rather crispy. My face is quite red, except where my sunglasses were (polarized lenses work very well to block UV rays). My forearms are burned too and I have already developed a watch mark. I have spritzed some vitamin-rich moisturizer on my burned spots, so possibly I'll be able to recover from the burn quickly. I'm hoping to not end up with the lizard skin that some of the other spectators had today. Clearly, these are women who have spent a lot of time in the sun. While they may be fit and active, they all looked older than they probably were and had all sorts of sagging, leathery, scaly skin. Definitely unattractive. I need to re-read some of Perricone's anti-aging book about what to use to treat sundamage and other oxidative damage.

Out and About in C-U
After we were cleared from the tennis tournament, we saw John Malkovich walking down the sidewalk along First Street. He's in town this week for Roger Ebert's Overlooked Film Festival. Ripley's Game is being shown tonight and Mr. Malkovich is a special guest. I can't remember if Mr. Malkovich lived in C-U before going off to Chicago to pursue acting or if he went to school at UIUC, but there's some sort of tie there in any event.

Mitch's Saga
The inundation of the boxes began on Tuesday. He got his apartment to a minimally functional state on Wednesday and stayed there that night. Slowly he's managing to dig his way out of the labyrinth. He's discovering that the labels on the boxes aren't the most descriptive or accurate. But he did manage to find his motorcycle helmet and take BumblB out for a ride today. He claimed it was just to find a convenient way to work, but it was probably more to escape the boxes. I can't say I wouldn't have done the same thing if I were in his place. However, that doesn't mean I didn't tell him I hated him since he was out on his bike and I was working. :o)

Well, time for bed. I'm dog sitting Jake and Abby this week. That slows things up a small bit when getting ready for work in the morning. I do have Sunday off, so I can play extra with the pups, assuming the weather cooperates. Of course, I also need to mow two lawns some time soon. Maybe after I teach on Monday or Tuesday. Then again, I need to write a bunch of lectures on Sunday, so perhaps mowing isn't a good idea for that reason either. Nothing like oodles of things needing to be done and only one day off to get it accomplished.

Comments

Popular Posts