Rather Wet Wednesday

Well, most of today was actually quite nice. Sunny and warm, even. A bit windy perhaps, but otherwise quite nice once it warmed up. Until about half an hour before I got off of work when the storms developed. The tornado warnings are for south and west of here tonight and moving to the southeast, which is unusual. Ordinarily the storms here move northeast. Not that I'm complaining....

I did get to watch a nice lightning show on the drive home, which was nice. No rainbow today, like there was on Monday evening.

On the other hand, Mitch's lawn is going to need to be baled by Friday if the rain doesn't let up. My flowers are all getting HUGE though. Which reminds me, I'll have to decide what to move with me if I get a job somewheres else. I'll be bummed to lose the huge patch of Lily of the Valley and my black-eyed susans.

KABOOM!
The US Navy scuttled a decommissioned carrier today to make an artificial reef off the coast of Florida. The USS Oriskany was in service during the Korean and Vietnam Wars and was decomissioned in 1976. Watch video footage of the event. She only took 30 minutes to slip beneath the waves. It had been expected to take up to five hours.

I'm a dork.
Here I am, poking fun at the BBC for interviewing the wrong person on live TV and what do I go and do that's even less intelligent? Yes, it's true. I have yet again managed to wash a ball point pen with my uniform. I did at least notice before I put the clothes into the dryer. And I got lucky in that none of the clothes appeared to get ink on them, that I could see. At least none of the clothes which were light enough in color to have shown black ink. I re-washed the whole load, just in case. I figure if I hadn't done that, I'd have ended up with an inky sock or something smearing ink over everything else. Well, at least it's been over a month since the last time I did that. I swear I checked my pocket, but apparently there was a fugitive pen somewhere on my person or in the laundry. Actually...thinking about it. I bet it was on my CPD polo shirt from yesterday and not in my uniform shirt at all. Oh well... I'm still a dork. :o)

Tonight's dinner:
One avocado and a boiled artichoke. I've been craving avocado lately, which is odd because I haven't been particularly fond of avocado or anything made of avocado in the past. Had a whole avocado, sliced and tossed with lemon last week. Tonight I just ate the whole thing with no lemon. Scooped it out of the shell and into my mouth. Tasted pretty darned good.

The artichoke was a bit more involved. :o) I like artichoke hearts. A lot. I have had tomato-artichoke soup at the Courier Cafe. I ate a whole batch of spinach-artichoke dip one year during the SuperBowl. I put artichokes on pizza and make a really good tortellini-artichoke casserole. I happened to watch the artichoke episode of Good Eats today on FoodTV. Having never prepared artichokes before, I was surprised to learn how simple it is to cook them. So, when I went to the store to get avocados, I also picked up a couple of artichokes. Despite what Alton Brown says, I found the stems to be particularly bitter and unappetizing, even after peeling them. It's a lot of work to eat the artichoke, but not so much work to prepare it. With that said, I don't know if I'll do that again. I may just keep going for the canned or frozen artichoke hearts. I am more likely to eat artichoke hearts *in* something than to eat artichoke leaves and hearts plain and it just doesn't seem worth the effort to get a bunch of artichokes just to scavenge the hearts for other purposes. Which reminds me, I have a recipe for oyster-artichoke soup that sounds delightful, but perhaps I'll save that for this fall since it's no longer oyster season.

In other news:
Spy Boy discovered a problem today. He discovered today that his cell phone is a security issue. Bad camera phone. Now he's got to nail down just what/where the problem is. It sounds like he'll be getting a new phone or just leaving his cell phone in his car while at work for the next little bit.

NO YELLING!
I was a good girl today. I did not yell at anybody. At all. I didn't even feel the need to yell at anybody. I didn't even get remotely cranky or frustrated or upset. And my role today was to do absolutely NOTHING, which is ordinarily a sure-fire way to get me all kinds of irritable. BIIIIIG pat on the back for me. I wonder how much of the lack of crabbiness was due to the donut I ate in the middle of the afternoon. :o)

The only thing which irkitated me today was discovering that the night crew hadn't bothered to sweep/mop up the mud in the back of the ambulance and left mud caked all over the wheels on one side of the cot. I keep getting told that R is a great asset in the company, but my experience is that she's highly unmotivated and doesn't bother doing even the minimum at keeping things cleaned up and stocked. It's not the first time she's left me a truck that's been at sub-optimal condition. So now she's on my list of people I don't trust to leave me a truck in ready condition. I hate to say that, but that's what my experience demonstrates.

Life, the Universe and Everything
Had a nice chat with Kelly tonight at shift change. She had a couple weeks off from work due to a mumps exposure at her other job. Fortunately, the other job paid for her time off and she didn't lose any money. She was able to relax, think about life and how she's living it and get some projects about the house started and mostly finished. When she came back to work last week, I commented on how relaxed and happy she looked. Tonight she said she'd pretty much evaluated how she was living her life and had been way too uptight about a lot of stuff. Now she's much more relaxed and is letting things roll along as they will, instead of stressing about getting everything to work out. Tom and I both commented that we'd noticed and were proud of her for making that change.

Several folks have been coming to similar conclusions lately. I know I have. I hadn't realized how fried I was until I noticed that for at least the first of my days off, I was just sitting around and not doing a damn thing because nothing looked interesting or fun. I just needed to veg out and not do ANYTHING. It occurred to me that that wasn't particularly healthy. It has helped to take the past couple of work Sundays off. That gave me an extra day to do nothing. Now I'm more interested in reading the excellent books from the library or watching my DVDs or knitting or going for a walk. That's a sign that I'm getting back to myself. I'm also less irritable and have a longer fuse than I have had in the past couple of months. Given a few more weeks, I ought to be back to my cheerful, perky self all the time.

Blonde moment...
I know there was something else I was going to blog today. There really was. And I can't think of what the heck it was now. No clue. I'm going to attribute that to having a headache. For some reason my head has hurt since about 11am today. Tylenol isn't touching it. I had the usual amount of caffeine today and don't have any sinus issues. I'm sure it's a tumor. I could die. :o)

laters....

Comments

Twitchh said…
BIIIIG Pat on the Back for you, Mary -- You're doing really well, and making lots of progress in several places! You *go*, Girl!

Yayyyyyyy, Mary!

:o)

PS - Tiggers do *not* like Unagi.
:o)

Popular Posts