Extra Day!

Today is a bonus weekend day, thanks to Veteran's Day falling on a Saturday. (Today is also the 231st anniversary of the founding of the US Marine Corps.) I tried to put it to good use. First, I opened up all the windows since it was 70 degrees today. There were rumors of rain for this afternoon/evening, so I had an early go at finishing the end of season yardwork. Got the lawn mowed, cleaned up the mowers and put the big mower in the yard barn. This has cleared up enough space in my garage that I can actually get my car inside it now. I'll have to find something to do with the roll of carpet leftovers. The yard looks a lot better now with the leaves all munched up. The bad news is that the yard barn is now totally full of stuff. The push mower will have to stay in the garage.

I have discovered the living room will take two coats of paint, thanks to the icky dark green color that was put on it. So I picked up a 2nd gallon of Killz today. I started to cut in the edges along the walls and trim last night. That's when I discovered the regular paint wasn't going to do the job. I moved right along to cutting in the edges of my bedroom and re-touching the edges of the hallway. I decided to call it a night before getting the roller out. I'll get the walls finished up tonight, I think. I already got the nail holes in the wall patched and vacuumed the dust bunnies off the textured ceiling. I might start in on the Killz in the living room tonight. We'll see how wound up I am this evening.

SCinet
The electrical drops to the floor were delayed. So the carpet laying was delayed. So the shooting of the fiber was delayed (as was vendor access to their booths). All of this delays the Router Heads. Push came to shove today. Mitch kicked some bahookie to get the electrical finished so the carpet guys can finish up. The Router Heads have about three days of work to do and about 2 days to do it. The opening gala is on the show floor Monday night.

I chatted with Mitch for a bit today and one of his student volunteers wandered up. I told him to give the student a cookie. He actually put Joseph on the phone and Joseph told me that he loved my cookies and they were very very yummy. I told him that more cookies were going to arrive next week. He was very happy to hear that. :o)

While I was grocery shopping this evening, I texted Mitch and asked him if he needed anything from Wal-Mart. His response? "Power strips. The main NOC just lost power." Oopsie. I bet a chorus of screams and howls went up at that. Turns out the power guys overloaded a circuit. At least the power came up clean and didnt' fry anything. I was highly surprised to learn that there are no UPSes in the NOC. I figured that would be one place they'd really want to have power backup, just in case someone tripped over the power cord.

In Other News:
Ivan Basso has joined the Discovery Cycling Team. Joe Paterno has been advised to NOT be at Penn State's FB game tomorrow. He got mowed down last weekend on the sidelines of the last game and sustained a broken leg. It's not nice to run over your 79 year old coach. Mr. Paterno will now miss the first game in his 41 year career.

Pine Island was buried at the horse cemetery at Claiborne Farms on Monday. She was bred and born at Claiborne and would have been a broodmare there, had she survived. She now lies next to Easy Goer and Unbridled, among other champions.

Averting Frustrations:
I have taken to answering all manner of questions on the knitting and vegetarian cooking lists since I'm not really being asked for advice at work. We'll see how the meeting about the potential new project goes this week (assuming it actually happens). In the meantime, I've been trying to take my frustrations out on things I can beat into submission or make progress with, like knitting, exercising and cleaning up my house. So far it's working, but there are good days and bad days. I am, however, feeling ever less inclined to bake things for work since my professional activities aren't particularly appreciated. At least Miss Alyce squealed with glee when Mitch told her she'd get some of her favorite cookies next week. *That* is appreciation.

Comments

Popular Posts