Busy! Busy! Little Bee!

Well, actually, I wasn't *that* busy. But it sounds good, doesn't it? All I really did was clean both bathrooms, re-arrange the guest room (again), do laundry, go grocery shopping and watch the big game.

Tonight I made some caramelized onions to be eaten later this week (though I will admit to having a scrumptious cheese and onion samich for dinner). They are absolutely perfect in flavor and color (they're actually darker than in the picture). My intention was to have caramelized onions to eat on samiches with leftover turkey, but I may end up making more tomorrow because I'll have a hard time not eating them all up by Thursday. They'll taste really good on scrambled eggs and baked potatoes. And home-made pizza with goat cheese and sun-dried tomatoes. Or a nice onion tart. The possibilities are nearly endless. I'm slowly turning myself into a foodie, now that I have time to cook real food and the chance to eat a real meal at lunch and dinner. I have even been trimming down the portion sizes so my clothes will quit "getting smaller".

Tomorrow I'll move the living room bookcases to the computer and guest rooms, then re-load them. Need to finish moving boxes out to the garage, then tidy things up. Guests (Mom and Becky) arrive on Tuesday.

College FB!!
Watched my first game of the season. Actually sat down and watched it, instead of just letting it be on in the background while I vacuumed or worked in a different room. Ohio State beat Michigan, but it was a darned good game. Lots of big plays on both sides. It looked like Michigan was going to take control a few times, but then the Buckeyes would come back. I think it helped a lot that they played at The Horseshoe in Columbus. It might have been a different outcome at the Big House in Ann Arbor. The new turf that was put down in October caused some trouble. Several players slipped and tripped on it as it tore away from the ground.

At the end of the game some of the 105,000+ fans stormed the field. The police did not attempt to stop this. The police did, however, form up in triangles around the goal posts. I thought that was quite a good approach to the situation. There were numerous officers spread around through the crowd too, but it was definitely apparent where they placed priority.

Consequences of Wool Allergies
There has been some discussion on one of the knitting lists about wool allergies. One woman wrote in asking for advice about knitting socks for someone who said they were allergic to wool and what yarn should she use since most sock yarns are at least part wool. SEveral people replied to tell her that most people aren't actually allergic and she should just proceed as normal. One woman went so far as to assert that it is impossible to be allergic to wool. Finally someone advised that it is not a good idea to just ignore someone's statements about allergies since in some cases it may be life threatening. While wearing wool socks may not result in anaphylaxis, it's probably not going to be something comfortable to wear. Which leads to the greatest sin ever inflicted upon a knitter (at least to hear some knitters tell it....):

The LACK of appreciation and lack of wearing of handknitted items. If you knit someone an item in a yarn they find unwearable, due to scratchiness or actual allergy or other sensitivity, they are NOT going to wear it. Many knitters find such non-wearing of gifted knitted items to be something on a par with drowning puppies for sport. The person who received the gift is labelled ungrateful, stupid, ignorant and downright rude for failing to wear something which may not be to their taste, may not fit, may not be comfortable and may, in fact, cause them to break out into hives. If someone gave you a gift that you found completely unsuitable or poorly fitting or made you break out in hives, would you wear it as part of your normal wardrobe or at all?

This time of year there are always questions on the knitting lists about which patterns to use to knit various people presents. The knitter may decide that something is really cool and that Cousin Jane or Teenager Joey really needs one. Now, what isn't ascertained is whether or not Cousin Jane or Teenager Joey think this item is cool. Teenagers have a tendency to be picky about what they wear, but there are numerous adults who are also particular. Why would you knit someone a present when you didn't even know they would like it? Why would you invest that much time, energy and emotion into something which would have a good chance of being unappreciated? All it does is raise your chances of getting your feelings hurt and generate resentment toward the recipient.

We knit gauge swatches to ensure that our knitted items actually achieve the desired dimensions. Why not make a "gift swatch" to find out if a gift will "fit" the recipient? Does this person wear hats? If yes, what sort of hat do they prefer? Beret? Toque? Felted Fedora? Ear Flap hat? Long stocking cap with or without tassel? What colors and fibers do they like? Knitted items are just too personal and too involved in the creation process to be sprung on someone without doing some homework to ensure that the recipient actually appreciates them. With as much time and effort that goes into knitting for someone else, don't you want the end product to be a success? I know that it's nice to completely surprise someone with a gift, but with some gifts that may not be the best idea.

"The Network is Coming Down....."
SuperComputing 2006 is over. SCinet has torn down its network. Things went very smoothly, though not without adventure. On the first or second day the actual exhibit floor was open, it rained hard. At that point it became apparent that the Tampa Convention Center has a leaky roof. The staff at the TCC knew this, but had been hoping that it wouldn't rain. Fortunately the water dripping down to the show floor missed any of the hardware and also missed the actual exhibitor booths. Mitch estimated the actual damage costs would have been around $100-150K if one of the NOC had been rained upon, plus the network would have been down for a DAY in the middle of the show. People would have definitely noticed that.

Despite my desire to place bets on which vendor was going to get hacked first and on which vendors would have brought pre-hacked boxes (like they did last year), 2006 was a BORING year for the security guys. It sounds like Dennis and his crew didn't have to do much, which is good, but not very exciting for them. Dennis himself managed to catch a virus himself (of the common col variety), which I thought was ironic.

Shawl Progress:
Here is the latest picture. This is the first time I've taken it off the needle and spread it out. Right now it's about 17 inches long and 36 inches wide. I think I'd like it to be closer to 60 inches wide. It barely covers my shoulders at the moment.

I have several shawls in mind for my next project. By the time I finish this one, I might be tired of shawls, but I don't think that will be the case. I do like having a few hours each day to knit. That is a great luxury.

Other Luxuries

Reading....I've been reading the 6th Harry Potter book at night for my bedtime reading. I either read them all very quickly or sufficiently long ago that I did not clearly remember the plots of any of them. Of course, I remembered that the Defense Against the Dark Arts instructor never lasted more than a single year, but couldn't remember the precise details. My non-bedtime reading is "The Meaning of Life" by the Dalai Lama. It's various topics in Buddhist philosophy and is proving quite useful in helping me re-develop patience, among other things. Next I'll read "How to Practice" and "The Art of Happiness." I'm half expecting one particular co-worker to get upset about my reading "heathen" material. I figure if I have to listen to everything starting with a prayer, they can deal with me reading Buddhist texts.

Hot Chocolate
I realized the other night that I have a bottle of Hershey's Chocolate syrup in the fridge, so I make myself a nice big mug of hot chocolate. It's really the only thing made of chocolate that I like to eat. I had been drinking about a pint of hot milk at night before bed and the hot chocolate makes for a nice change. I bought some mini marshmallows last weekend to put on a sweet potato casserole, but threw some into my hot chocolate too. YUM!

Electric Blanket
I have been pre-heating my bed for about 10 minutes before hopping in. Oh my that is delightful to climb into. When I was out of town for a meeting last week it took me a little while to figure out why the bed was cold. I guess I've gotten spoiled. :o)

I'm sure there are more things on that list. I'll give it some more thought and let you know. That might make a good blog all by itself....

Comments

Popular Posts