Urban Living

I've spent about a month living in a major metropolitan area after decades living in communities with fewer than 200,000 residents. I briefly looked at a couple high rise apartment complexes but in the end chose a smaller building. My building adjoins a walkable neighborhood with modest single family homes and a small park.  There is a grocery store, coffee shop, bank and dry cleaners located across the street and I have a 20 minute commute to work.  All in all, I think I picked a good spot.

While I'm convinced there are other residents in my building, based on the vehicles parked in the garage, I rarely hear or see anybody else.  The folks that live upstairs sometimes take showers in the evening and in the morning I can hear them walking around about the time I'm getting ready for work. Last weekend I heard someone up there shouting at the football game (perfectly reasonable reaction).  My one complaint, which may or may not apply to a fellow resident, is that the driver's side door of my car has picked up a couple red paint transfers since I've lived here. There is a red car that parks near me. I may choose a different area of the parking lot in the future.

My stuff arrived a couple weeks ago, but I immediately went on a business trip so am still unpacking. The packers (Katie and Sandy) did a fantastic job packing my belongings. They certainly didn't stint on the packing paper!


This past weekend, Mitch was able to extend a business trip to the DC area by a couple days. We went on a Segway tour of some of the monuments on the National Mall, visited the Air and Space Museum and saw the changing of the guard at The Tomb of the Unknowns at Arlington National Cemetery. The weather was perfect--warm, but not hot and neither windy nor rainy.






Comments

Popular Posts