Happy Halloween!!

I got an early start this year. I purchased my bag of Mary Janes (it's peanut butter taffy, essentially) in late September. I have exactly two of the 87 pieces left. I did an excellent job of pacing myself this year. I should have no trouble at all finishing my candy allotment by the end of Halloween.

Halloween candy and I have always had a strange relationship. I would love to go Trick or Treating. But I was always very picky about what candy I would eat. And I wouldn't eat more than one or two pieces a day, even though the whole stash was available in my room. So by the time the next Halloween came around, there was still candy left in my little plastic Jack o' Lantern. I even remember dumping candy I knew I wouldn't eat into my sister's Halloween candy stash. (She liked more of the candies than I did and also ate it faster.) The bestest treats were when we got homemade popcorn balls and caramel apples from people in the neighborhood. That totally rocked. I don't think I've had a popcorn ball since and I'm positive the store-bought ones wouldn't taste anywhere near as good, even if I dressed up as a ghost to eat it.

Tonight I am pretending I'm not home (so I don't have to give up my last two pieces of candy to any Trick or Treaters!) and watching scary movies on TCM. I just finished watching The Haunting and now Bedlam, starring Boris Karloff, is on.

What is it about watching trainwrecks?
The Discovery Channel is showing the 2nd season of Everest: Beyond the Limit. Two Kazakh climbers attempted to summit late in the day and without bottled oxygen. They had nowhere near enough time to summit and return to the highest camp before dark *and* there is a storm coming. Around 3am, there is a "mayday" call. Sherpas scramble from advanced base camp to >27,000 feet to find them, which would ordinarily take 3 days. In complete darkness. I don't think this is going to end well for the Kazakhs.

Comments

Popular Posts