Spring Colds

It looks like I may have picked up a respiratory virus either during the tail end of my travels or one of the local bugs caught up with me.  I do have a bad habit of chewing on my cuticles and reading e-mail or sitting in meetings with my hand on my face. I'm actually surprised I don't get respiratory bugs more often, given they're likely lurking on all the door handles, light switches, tables and other surfaces I touch and my personal behaviors certainly introduce them to my mucus membranes often enough. I'm very pleased about the sturdiness of my immune system in keeping things at bay.

I started out with a sore throat, stuffy head and a cough. I would have considered that it could be allergies to the newly flowering trees, but then the fever started.  I actually took a day off from work and spent it laying on the couch napping, coughing, blowing my nose, and generally feeling pretty run down.  That weekend was off/on fever. A dry cough hung on for an extra week or so, but I attribute at least part of that to the dust and pollen in the air since it got significantly better after a bit of rain, but then got worse once the outdoors dried out a bit.  I think even the cough has finally gone away now.

All in all, I cannot complain about having a respiratory bug once every couple of years, even if the periodicity is such that my existing stash of cough syrup is always expired by two months.


Comments

Popular Posts