The Julie/Julia Project

Recent reading material:
Been reading some non-fiction lately: The Julie/Julia Project. Based on a blog/project in which Julie decides to cook her way through Julia Child's Mastering the Art of French Cooking. I've read a couple of chapters. Very entertaining. It's funny that I came across this book in the local library as I'd been considering cooking my way through several of the cookbooks I own in a quest to build a repertoire of dishes I'd like to eat on a regular basis, but might not otherwise try. I may just have to get cracking on that task now that I have a role model to follow. Of course, that would mean getting more organized in my cooking and shopping endeavors. It would also mean eating better and having good leftovers for lunch at work, not that the old standby of peanut butter and jelly is a bad thing....

In other news...
Well, I've done it. I've given in and will be taking the paramedic class after all. It starts in about six weeks and runs for the next year. 480 hours of clinical time on top of the class work. I think it'll be fun. I know I'll enjoy learning how to do the skills and being able to run more calls than I can as an EMT.

Oddly enough, as I sign on to take a year-long course, I am really pushing hard to get my job search off the ground again. I've sent off over a dozen applications/resumes in the past week. Got two calls back. One from a recruiter and one from a health officer at a public health dept looking for an epidemiologist.

My fitness kick is continuing. I'm still not very good at regularly working out. I have all sorts of motivation at night to get up in the morning and work out. When the alarm goes off at 4:30am, however, that motivation is a bit sluggish. However, I am making better food choices, eating more reasonably sized portions and not eating just because I'm bored, stressed or cranky. As a result, even with irregular exercise habits, I have managed to lose 15 pounds since January. With my exercise habit as is (2-3 days a week of strength training and 1-2 20 minute walks), I have noticed that I'm developing muscles in my upper arms and chest and have dropped a pants size. My goal remains to have my body fat get around 20% and to perhaps reach 135 pounds for a final weight. I'm more concerned about how I feel and getting my body fat to a reasonable number than I am concerned with the exact weight I achieve.

Haven't done much wandering around the internet or even wandering around mentally. I've been staying rather focused. Oddly enough this seems to have led to my being somewhat PRODUCTIVE too. Go figure. :o)

Comments

Popular Posts